Your question

Is it time to upgrade my CPU?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2012 7:51:28 PM

Hello,

I am thinking about moving from my AMD AM3 platform to an Intel Z68/Z77 platform.

The reason being that I am wondering if my Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.0GHz is bottle-necking my GTX480SLI @ 1080p. I have been reading a lot of forums stating how it is and it isn't so I'll just ask one more time since I'm rather confused.

Why am I confused? Well, most people are saying that it IS bottle-necking the GTX480SLI, but when people ask about a GTX680, they say it will not. From what I've been reading: GTX480SLI = GTX590 = GTX680, so in terms of GPU processing power, would they not be around the same level?

How much of a bottleneck (if any) do you suspect I am experiencing? How much improvement (if any) should I be expecting with a transition to an i5-2500K/i5-3570K?

Again, I play demanding games like Crysis 2 and BF3, maxed out @ 1080p.

Thanks.

More about : time upgrade cpu

September 19, 2012 9:20:33 PM

Upgrading to i5 Ivy will certainly give a decent boost, in it's own right, but I suspect you will gain another chunk, by going go up to a decent Z77 board. What mobo are you using, and what monitor(s) resolutions, so it MIGHT be possible to quantify it a bit, although it may be difficult to find wholely accurate data.
m
l
September 19, 2012 10:12:56 PM

Hi,

I am currently using an ASUS M4N75TD AM3 SLI motherboard. It's a NVIDIA chipset based motherboard, capable of running SLI @ x8/x8... also has 8+1 phase power design so it's a decent overclocking motherboard... What other information would you require? Also, as stated in my previous post, I currently play @ 1080p (1920x1080 resolution).

I guess my MAIN question is: Do I have a significant bottleneck with the Phenom II for modern gaming? Will an i5 alleviate said bottleneck?

Also, I have read that a GTX480SLI is equivalent to GTX570SLI, does anyone have experience with a similar setup?

GTX480SLI = GTX570SLI = GTX590 = GTX680

Thanks
m
l
September 19, 2012 10:44:13 PM

rex000 said:
Hi,
I guess my MAIN question is: Do I have a significant bottleneck with the Phenom II for modern gaming? Will an i5 alleviate said bottleneck?

Also, I have read that a GTX480SLI is equivalent to GTX570SLI, does anyone have experience with a similar setup?

GTX480SLI = GTX570SLI = GTX590 = GTX680

The only way to see if you have a bottleneck is to check your CPU usage and mess with settings. I would say generally, no, but it's going to vary by game. The same fps at lower settings would indicate a possible CPU bottleneck. An IB i5 would certainly be an upgrade, but if we're talking the difference between 120fps and 100fps, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're not having any issues running the games you play at the settings you like, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Yes, those setups should be roughly equal.
m
l
!