Sign in with
Your question

Pc starts up then shuts down 2-3 seconds after

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 3, 2013 5:41:18 AM

this has happened to me before but only once it started up and then shuts down and then it worked the next time when it automatically started up again , however this time it happened twice and this is in a lengthy time period id say 5-7 months between when this started happening , im starting to get a little worried as some weird signs have been going on about my computer

can anyone offer advice also , my PC is a HP pavilion 340-uk Edition and it was refurbished so nothing came with the PC no manually what so ever just the PC its self

More about : starts shuts seconds

February 3, 2013 9:14:30 AM

The PSU could be faulty so fit a new one.
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 9:57:20 AM

Hi

With power switched off at wall socket or un plugged from mains

open case take anti static precautions

check all cables from PSU to motherboard are correctly connected

in the case of the 12V ATX (4/8pin) remove examine for burnt pins and reconnect if OK

check cpu cooler fan is plugged in correctly

last two above can prevent startup

look at capacitors near CPU for bulging ends or leakage (needs a torch or spot light)

if there is a spare molex connector use a multi meter to check 5V & 12 V when PC running (idling and loaded by game or prime95)
5V black to red
12V black to yellow

regards
Mike Barnes
Related resources
February 3, 2013 11:19:53 PM

phil22 said:
The PSU could be faulty so fit a new one.

i highly doubt that considering this has only happened on a rare occurrence
February 3, 2013 11:26:47 PM

mbarnes86 said:
Hi

With power switched off at wall socket or un plugged from mains

open case take anti static precautions

check all cables from PSU to motherboard are correctly connected

in the case of the 12V ATX (4/8pin) remove examine for burnt pins and reconnect if OK

check cpu cooler fan is plugged in correctly

last two above can prevent startup

look at capacitors near CPU for bulging ends or leakage (needs a torch or spot light)

if there is a spare molex connector use a multi meter to check 5V & 12 V when PC running (idling and loaded by game or prime95)
5V black to red
12V black to yellow

regards
Mike Barnes

well i only have 1 - 6pin power connecter and thats not even in use (it will soon be but - getting new graphics card)

PSU fan huh well i guess i cant really see it but i assume its working

and well the mains in never turned off and there is no power off switch for the PSU so yeah
!