Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best agp card for my pc

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 31, 2012 5:14:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

i need ur help guys...!!

i have a pc... older one... :??:  it has an AGP 8x Slot... I need the best agp card available for my pc..


Here are my specs...

Processor - Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2 GB
System Manufacturer: P4M80P
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Chip type: VIA P4M800 PRO
Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11



so... i need the best agp card out there.. money is not an issue!!! plz help!! :D 

More about : agp card

July 31, 2012 6:38:47 PM

I think the best ones you can get are a 3850 or a 4670 (maybe) but they would both be used or refurbished if you're lucky.
I'm sure you've heard this before but I have to say it, upgrade your MoBo! It's 2012! AGP has been out of date for like five years. Neither of those cards are very powerful relative to even low end modern cards for PCIe.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 7:40:17 PM

The best agp card is the HD3850 512. Some times newegg has refurbished ones for around $70. There is always 1 or 2 on ebay for around $75-100.

You would be better off upgrading the mobo chip and ram. You could do something like this for around $200 and it would be like 10 times faster than the p4.
New cpu modern pentium dual core $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116399
Board 1155 h61 $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813186214
4gig ddr3 $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820313122
There your at like $130
add in a 6670 at $65 and your at $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814131440
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 8:05:05 PM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP

Would be the best you can get for AGP,

I would suggest scrounging up atleast a 775 era PC :p 
August 1, 2012 7:45:31 AM

iyzik said:
I think the best ones you can get are a 3850 or a 4670 (maybe) but they would both be used or refurbished if you're lucky.
I'm sure you've heard this before but I have to say it, upgrade your MoBo! It's 2012! AGP has been out of date for like five years. Neither of those cards are very powerful relative to even low end modern cards for PCIe.




What about this?
Can my pc handle this?
HIS HD 4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1GB (128bit) DDR3 AGP

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-448.shtml
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 9:25:30 AM

yes it should work fine!
August 1, 2012 5:21:19 PM

Namit said:
What about this?
Can my pc handle this?
HIS HD 4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1GB (128bit) DDR3 AGP

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-448.shtml



Yes! That should work fine, just be sure your PSU has enough wattage. I will always recommend a HIS IceQ they have amazing cooling from my experience.
August 2, 2012 6:23:38 AM

iyzik said:
Yes! That should work fine, just be sure your PSU has enough wattage. I will always recommend a HIS IceQ they have amazing cooling from my experience.



it Requires 400W of power...
now how would i know how much my SMPS provides...?
August 2, 2012 6:32:13 AM

Namit said:
it Requires 400W of power...
now how would i know how much my SMPS provides...?


To get your wattage you should be able to just check on your PSU if you open up your computer. It should say on the side probably.

Keep in mind the graphics card doesn't actually use that much power. The actual TDP of that card is 70 watts. So (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but there is no reason your system should be drawing 400watts with that card. I'd say 300-350 watts would be safe unless you have some other component plugged in that draws a lot.

And one more thing make sure you have an open molex 4 pin power plug from the PSU because the 4670 needs auxilliary power.
August 2, 2012 12:53:12 PM

iyzik said:
To get your wattage you should be able to just check on your PSU if you open up your computer. It should say on the side probably.

Keep in mind the graphics card doesn't actually use that much power. The actual TDP of that card is 70 watts. So (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but there is no reason your system should be drawing 400watts with that card. I'd say 300-350 watts would be safe unless you have some other component plugged in that draws a lot.

And one more thing make sure you have an open molex 4 pin power plug from the PSU because the 4670 needs auxilliary power.




Thank You for your reply...
i read this at Amazon.com...
This is a part of a review from a person who bought this card...

Issues with installing this card:
1. You need to jump the onboard HDMI audio if you're going to keep using your integrated audio. Just move the jumper cap on the card from 1-2 to 2-3 before installing the card.
2. You must use Catalyst AGP Hotfix drivers. The included CD drivers DID NOT work for me either. I got an excellent stable install with the 10.7 AGP Hotfix drivers from the HIS website. Please follow online instructions published elsewhere for completely removing ATI drivers before installing this card (e.g., on rage3d forums).
3. My system has the stock 250W power supply, and the install has been rock-solid stable. I would view the 400W PSU requirement as more of a guideline.
4. You need an open PCI slot next to your AGP slot, and a free Molex 4-pin power connector that will reach your AGP slot (or an extension cable) to install the card. But on the plus side, you're getting an included case exhaust fan with this card (this is essentially how the integrated "IceQ" cooler functions).



i understand the points 2nd, 3rd, and 4th... what i dont understand is the 1st point...
What Does that mean?
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 1:12:10 PM

That poster said he used the jumper (Jumper is a little switch) on the card to turn off the HDMI audio controller. That means the video card will not send sound through the HDMI port. That is a nice option to have but it is not required. Windows can keep track of and use multiple sound devices at one time. So there is no need to disable the HDMI sound on the hardware level. You just set your orginal onboard sound device is the default in windows.
August 2, 2012 4:06:30 PM

^ +1 yep that is correct.

But that's also assuming you are using an HDMI output which obviously not everybody does.
August 4, 2012 6:44:57 AM

Thanks a lot everyone... ur information helped a lot!

i will buy HIS ICEQ 1 GB card asap...


Anything else that i should be eyeing for while installing this card....?
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 10:21:15 PM

Nothing really, all that old stuff is really plug and play.

Just make sure you get the latest drivers from AMD/ATI.

Make sure you have enough room is all I can really say haha.

Happy gaming.
August 5, 2012 9:43:52 AM

thanks...
August 5, 2012 3:00:08 PM

just one last question....


What is Bottleneck?


and will his iceq bottleneck my pc? :??: 
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 7:46:53 PM

Bottleneck is where preformance is robbed from the pc because one of the components is not as powerfull as another.

Its like this:

Say I had a Pentium 4 and 3 GTX 690's in sli.

If I were playing a game, the Pentium 4 would be at 100% at all times, and the 3 GPU's would be at like, less than 10% usage.

In your case, no, because AGP graphics cards died with the P4, so your card is MENT to be with your processor.
August 6, 2012 3:53:22 PM

Thanks... Thats Relieving... :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 8:05:43 PM

Make sure to check an answer before ya go.
!