Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A cooler for i3-540 (LGA 1156)

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2013 7:05:00 AM

Its winter in India but my CPU core temps are showing 45°C and 46°C respectively in idle (as per CPUID Hardware Monitor). I currently have the stock cooler installed. I'm not sure if its the problem of the fan or anything else and I've no other fans or other hardware to test and filter out the actual problem.
Mt CPU is attached to a GIGABYTE H55M-D2H mobo.
What should I do ?
I'm planning to buy a Deepcool GAMMA ARCHER or an ALTA 7 (this two are available and are in my budget range)..??

Will this enough and solve my problem..??
My specs:
Core i3-540 @3.06 GHz | Gigabyte H55M-D2H | G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 | MSI N550GTX-Ti CYCLONE II 1GD5 | Corsair CX500 V2 | CoolerMaster Elite 311 | Samsung P2250 1080p

More about : cooler 540 lga 1156

February 3, 2013 7:43:29 AM

I suggest you go for something like a hyper 212, the heatsinks you are suggesting are barely improvements.
As for the temps, they seem a little on the hot side for idle and being winter, here in singapore 30degree celcius, I was running stock cooler on i7 2600k stock 95watt tdp which is hotter and got same temps as you.

Try reseating your cooler and checking if the pins are through and try to use a vaccum or something to get any dust off the heatsink itself and the fan, also, make sure your fan is at least on normal, not silent. And lastly, clean the case intakes.
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2013 8:09:20 AM

avi_in_lamborghini said:
Its winter in India but my CPU core temps are showing 45°C and 46°C respectively in idle (as per CPUID Hardware Monitor). I currently have the stock cooler installed. I'm not sure if its the problem of the fan or anything else and I've no other fans or other hardware to test and filter out the actual problem.
Mt CPU is attached to a GIGABYTE H55M-D2H mobo.
What should I do ?
I'm planning to buy a Deepcool GAMMA ARCHER or an ALTA 7 (this two are available and are in my budget range)..??

Will this enough and solve my problem..??
My specs:
Core i3-540 @3.06 GHz | Gigabyte H55M-D2H | G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 | MSI N550GTX-Ti CYCLONE II 1GD5 | Corsair CX500 V2 | CoolerMaster Elite 311 | Samsung P2250 1080p

Since you have given only two choices, I would suggest buying the D.C. GAMMA ARCHER since it has better Airflow and a 120mm fan with a more quiet cooling performance. I recommend that you also buy a thermal compound which is about 130 rupees so to help solve your problem. Now will it be enough to solve your problem?, well it depends on what core temperatures you're comfortable with but this will most likely reduce your core temps to about 4-7*C...
February 4, 2013 8:13:31 AM

Best answer selected by avi_in_lamborghini.
Score
!