Will this desktop run games very well?

G

Hey everyone.

Will games like TESV: Skyrim, NFS: The Run, Battlefield 3, Crysis/Crysis 2,
Blacklight Retribution be able to run at at least medium settings @ 1366 x 768 resolution on this desktop?

What kind of gaming performance should I expect to see coming from this desktop?

Specs:
- Intel Pentium D 805 @ 2.66GHz
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X2 (Dual-GPU, 1GB GDDR3)
- 160GB 5400RPM HDD

G

Isn't the Pentium D 805 a dual-core CPU?

G

Isn't the Pentium D 805 a dual-core CPU? Is there really a huge performance gap between a Pentium D CPU and a Core 2 Duo CPU?

G

Even if the CPU isn't the greatest, wouldn't the HD 3870 X2 make up for loss in CPU performance at least a little bit when gaming, or will this build just not play games even at lowest settings?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Running the game IS possible, but with that CPU (old instructions and technology), the frames will really dip to unplayable, and with the weak GPUs, the won't be able to hold up. The RAM is another big factor and again is VERY low. Honestly, I don't recommend it, but if you have the game, or can get it, try it out and see if the game is playable at all. BF3 only requires a single hyperthreaded core to run, but results vastly improve with a dual-core chip. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A *. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it won't even start, it just won't play well.

*Keep in mind that he was using a modern LGA2011 i7 CPU to run the game. It has newer instruction sets, as well as higher clocks.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Those parts are from so long ago I wasn't even into computer building then lol. Is this your current setup or are you looking to buy something like this? What would your budget be for a new computer build (if any at all)? I say new one because an upgrade would require replacing almost if not everything in that PC you listed.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I would say that the GPU is more than enough to handle the listed games at 1366x768 at medium-low settings. The CPU is definitely the weakest part though, and will probably be the biggest limiting factor, leading to unstable framerates that will probably dip into choppy zones at times. Unfortunately, game detail settings mostly apply to GPU load, not CPU.

G

Will this desktop perform any better than my laptop (that I'm currently using as my full-time PC?)

My laptops hardware specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz (never overclocked)
- 2.87GB DDR2 RAM (I have 4GB installed, but I have a 32-bit OS, so... yeah...)
- 320GB 7200RPM HDD (which may be dying on me, so... yeah...)
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics Chipset (I've never seen more than 200MB of memory dedicated to games, so... there's that...)
- 1280 x 800 maximum resolution on a 12.1" TFT touch-screen

G

Yeah, very few games use more than two cores, which is why many people prefer an i5 when gaming on a laptop as opposed to an i7, simply due to the fact that an i7 isn't clocked as high per core.

Will this desktop perform any better than my laptop (that I'm currently using as my full-time PC?)

My laptops hardware specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz (never overclocked)
- 2.87GB DDR2 RAM (I have 4GB installed, but I have a 32-bit OS, so... yeah...)
- 320GB 7200RPM HDD (which may be dying on me, so... yeah...)
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics Chipset (I've never seen more than 200MB of memory dedicated to games, so... there's that...)
- 1280 x 800 maximum resolution on a 12.1" TFT touch-screen

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

The CPU is not the issue here, its now the iGPU. It will NOT be able to play games. You're Pentium Dual-Core combo will work better.

G

Okay, so how much would you guys be willing to pay for the desktop? Rather, how much do you think this desktop would be worth?

Specs:
- Intel Pentium D 805 @ 2.66GHz
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X2 (Dual-GPU, 1GB GDDR3)
- 160GB 5400RPM HDD
- 650W PSU (not sure what brand)
- Custom case with blue LED fans (not sure of case brand, but it's at least a mid-tower)

G

I heard that the Pentium D 805 can be overclocked to almost 4GHz (obviously I would get myself a better CPU cooler,) but will overclocking it to that speed make this system perform much better, or...?

G

I also forgot to mention that the motherboard is an ASUS motherboard that can do SLI/CrossFire.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
To be honest with you, the most you can probably get out of this rig is 20FPS at Low settings. It really is old. If you plan to buy it, you wont get much from your money.

G

Are you sure I would only get around 20FPS in games on this rig? :( I know this system is old, but I've watched videos of people playing games on a Pentium D 805 (both at stock speed and overclocked) with graphics cards that are worse than mine (8500 GT, HD 4350, etc) with minimal problems...

G

Yeah, according to benchmarks and such, the graphics card in this desktop (the Radeon HD 3870 X2) is significantly better than the Intel HD 4000 IGP in your laptop, aside from the fact that the HD 3870 X2 is a DX10 card, whereas the HD 4000 IGP is a DX11 IGP. HOWEVER, even if your laptop has the lowest i3 CPU model, it's still at least two times better (probably better than that though) compared to the Pentium D 805 in this desktop :p

I believe that this desktop has potential, but the only desktop I've ever personally owned was an IBM business desktop with a Pentium 4 @ 1.6GHz, 256MB DDR RAM, and a 32MB NVIDIA Vanta dedicated GPU XD Let me tell you, that desktop did NOT play games well :p

I've seen videos of people playing games on a Pentium D 805 and also with a much worst graphics card than the HD 3870 X2, with results that I would consider to be quite good, all things considered :p