Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7 vs. AMD Phenom II X4 955

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2013 7:36:04 AM

Hi,
Just upgraded from an AMD Phenom II X4 955 to an i7 3770k thinking I'd get a huge performance boost and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed (especially for the money I spent). My first surprise is that it only gets about 25,000 CPU marks on 3d Mark Vantage whereas my Phenom got 36,000. I suspect it may be because the processor keeps throttling to save power although I haven't found any way to turn off this functionality (I've tried disabling all ECO functionality in the BIOS, specifically EuP 2013, C1E Support and Intel C-State). Can anyone help me get the performance I should be getting (or was I wrong in that the AMD processor is a higher performer)?

Many thanks

R_V

More about : intel amd phenom 955

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 3, 2013 7:41:46 AM

The Phenom II X4 is considerably slower than the Core i7. I've got no idea how it could perform better in 3DMark.
I suggest you run your tests again and by the way throttling is normal and should happen. It's used to increase energy efficiency.
February 3, 2013 8:31:29 AM

The i7 cpu throttling shouldn't affect performance, it ramps up the speed as needed.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2013 11:15:52 AM

You're doing it wrong. WAY WRONG. I upgraded from a P2 965 to a 2600k and even with the i7 sitting stock it absolutely blew the doors off of my P2 even when I had it sitting at 4.1 Ghz. There is absolutely no contest. I would go as far as to say even Sandy Bridge is twice as fast as my old P2.

I'm honestly shocked you see no difference. I saw immediate improvement in everything. Big improvements.
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2013 11:18:50 AM

Whats your system specs? Somthing is WRONG haha
February 3, 2013 11:56:31 AM

Hey there, you're not wrong something is definately hinky. Here's the link to the test I ran yesterday:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4559415

Here's the link to the previous system:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/2754081

I read comparisons between the two processors before buying, it's why I made the choice and it's why I was so surprised to get the results I did.

Current system specs:
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G43
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 295
CPU: i7 3770K
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-1333

Let me know what you think and thanks again!

R_V
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2013 9:49:43 PM

Just remember this. No matter what you based your decision on rest assured you made the right one.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 3, 2013 10:02:42 PM

I upgraded from a Phenom X6 @3.4 to a 2600k and was also disappointed in the small amount of improvement vs the large amount of money spent.

However my disappointment came from in-game performance, not benchmarks.

My 2600k beats my old phenom in every benchmark I can think of.

Something is wrong.
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2013 11:21:57 PM

i too upgraded from a phenom 965 to an i7 and this is just my two cents

computer technology has come to a point where after a certain point, most of the difference is just on paper. The difference in cost between a 120 fps and a 60 fps gaming rig is huge and on paper its a 100% improvement. It sounds great but in real life the difference is minimal (atleast to me) and sometimes non-existent to some people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpIwNDeCA&feature=yout...

i also recently bought a SSD to upgrade my 7200 rpm hard drive. it scored a 7.9 on wei and benchmarks showed a 500+ mb/s read and write. So on paper its great. But in real life im saving a few seconds on loading windows and games. Its nice but im not sure it justifies the $200 that i spent and i can honestly do without it.

so yea thats just my opinion.
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2013 2:27:52 AM

Like I said I am reay surprised at some experiences I am hearing. Who knows. Maybe I am just more sensitive when it comes to noticing small improvements? For me my benchmark scores went way up and it definately reflected real world change moving from my 965.

My framerates effectively doubled in Skyrim, Diablo 3, Wow, SC2, BF3, Dirt, and pretty much every other game I play. That was with me using the same video card. Load times on web pages that were flash heavy all but diminished. Even with the same SSD.

The system was more stable and responsive tham my P2.
!