start screensaver by keyboard button

I would like to configure a Logitech keyboard to start whatever screensaver
is the present screensaver in WinXP Home. If is a *.scr file is double
clicked, such as ssstars.scr, the saver will start. If scrnsave.scr is double
clicked only a blank screen occurs.

I can't figure out what command to associate with the keyboard key press.

Thanks,

Arne

Hi Arne,
I run XP Home and have a Logitech keyboard but I don't think you can program
any key to invoke screensaver. There is a Sleep button, but is it
programmable? When I use it, the PC goes into Standby mode, which is
something I have never used. I am not even sure what it is, e.g. how it
differs from Hibernate.)

However, I found a program at this address
http://www.victechsoftware.com/shutdowntray.html which I find useful

It installs in the system tray at startup if you you set it to - there is a
panel asking you this.

It has many options (Hibernate, Restart, Shutdown, etc.) Screensaver is one
of these.

Another feature is Options, whereby you can set any Ctl-Alt combination to
invoke any of the various options.

I have Ctl-Alt-S set to invoke screensaver. I am fairly sure it invokes
whatever screensaver is set in Windows XP Home. That is my experience
anyway.
--
Good Luck,
Trevor L.

Arne wrote:
> I would like to configure a Logitech keyboard to start whatever
> screensaver is the present screensaver in WinXP Home. If is a *.scr
> file is double clicked, such as ssstars.scr, the saver will start. If
> scrnsave.scr is double clicked only a blank screen occurs.
>
> I can't figure out what command to associate with the keyboard key
> press.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arne

To evoke Hibernate you can use the command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState

That is from PC Mag

I used to have a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro, which had an evoke
screensaver selection for programs. So, it has to be possible to call up the
screen saver with whatever is the present saver.

The graphics card is an ATI x700 and Catalyst Control Center has hot keys
for controlling graphics related events.

Arne wrote:
> I would like to configure a Logitech keyboard to start whatever screensaver
> is the present screensaver in WinXP Home. If is a *.scr file is double
> clicked, such as ssstars.scr, the saver will start. If scrnsave.scr is double
> clicked only a blank screen occurs.
>
> I can't figure out what command to associate with the keyboard key press.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arne

Hi

depending on your video card you might be able to do this. I have a
nvidia one that allows you to program keys and do a number of other
things. you need to figure out where the scr file is and then assign the
button combination to run the application when pressed.

eg in my system I go to the nvidia properties and set a button to run a
application. this varys from system to system so your best bet is check
out if your video card gives you this option or try google and see if
there is a tool that lets you program buttons.

hope that helps

Zankhna