Will 7750 work in my gateway

justepic87

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
hey guys love the forum and all the helpfullness was just wondering if i can run the asus HD 7750 on my computer heres the specs i know of

computer model Gateway DX4860-EF16P

cpu i5-3450 3.1ghz
ram 16GB
HDD is 2tb 5400 rpm
current gpu is 7350 which i think is a rebranded 5450 or 6450
and the psu is a 300W lite on

thanks in advance guys

Solution
While the PSU is definitely small and cheap, if it were bottom-of-the-barrel junk, Gateway would probably not be as large and successful as they are. I would not run a HD7770 on it, which I would probably be willing to do with a Seasonic or FSP 300W PSU; that said I think you will be okay with a HD7750.
Using the PSU calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine I threw in an extra fan, card reader, 4x4GB of RAM, counting your drive as a non-"green" drive, added 10% capacitor aging and came up with 275W. If it's 2x8GB sticks, and a "green" drive, it drops down to 263W. In each case, the minimum was 50W less. I think you'll be ok.

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Probably depends on the quality of the PS. HD 7750 has been reported to work in systems with power supplies as low as 250-300 watts. There is no power connector on the HD 7750.

If you have any concerns with the quality of your PS, you can get an Antec VP-450 for cheap.

Dave

The HD7750 only needs around 5A running flat out. Your CPU needs no more than 6.5A. Check the combined amperage rating on your PSU's +12V. Allowing a few amps for drives and your mobo, and for the overrating common to cheap PSUs, if you've got 15A or more, you should be ok. Monitor the temperature of your PSU's exhaust during games; if it is really warm, or if the PSU's fan starts howling, you'll want to replace it. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification. The Antec VP-450 is a notable exception; it is a good PSU that does not meet those criteria (it is efficient enough, but is disqualified from 80+ because it doesn't have active PFC). Seasonic also has some excellent low-wattage units without PCIe power connectors that you could use if you don't plan further video card upgrades.

Edit: It looks like it claims to have two rails, one 10A and the other 13A. They aren't additive, but even if the maximum combined is 16A-17A, you should be ok. Monitor as above though.

While the PSU is definitely small and cheap, if it were bottom-of-the-barrel junk, Gateway would probably not be as large and successful as they are. I would not run a HD7770 on it, which I would probably be willing to do with a Seasonic or FSP 300W PSU; that said I think you will be okay with a HD7750.
Using the PSU calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine I threw in an extra fan, card reader, 4x4GB of RAM, counting your drive as a non-"green" drive, added 10% capacitor aging and came up with 275W. If it's 2x8GB sticks, and a "green" drive, it drops down to 263W. In each case, the minimum was 50W less. I think you'll be ok.

Solution

justepic87

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

thank you i picked up a new psu to go with it and it came with free shipping and i am pretty sure i can run a 7770 off it instead of the 7750

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027