Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard doesn't recognize gpu

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2012 12:49:12 AM

I just got a XFX double d 7850 graphics card, but when I tried to install it, the fans turn on, but the computer does not recognize it at all. Previously I was just using my cpu's integrated graphics. I have tried moving the card to a 2.0 PCIE slot instead of a 3.0, but nothing changes.
My build

XFX Double d 7850
intel i5-2500k
asrock z77 pro 3 motherboard
September 20, 2012 1:08:36 AM

Maybe you didn't install the drivers properly or at all. If so, download the latest catalyst drivers(12.8 I think). You can use the ones that came with the Graphics card too.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:40:03 AM

The cd that came with the graphics card at first gave me a warning that i needed to install my gpu before i installed the drivers (I told it to install them anyway) and then tried to direct me to the xfx website to find the correct drivers, but i found nothing about the drivers for my specific card there, so i just downloaded the catalyst drivers from the amd website. This has so far proven fruitless.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 2:28:15 AM

flaminwhale42 said:
The cd that came with the graphics card at first gave me a warning that i needed to install my gpu before i installed the drivers (I told it to install them anyway) and then tried to direct me to the xfx website to find the correct drivers, but i found nothing about the drivers for my specific card there, so i just downloaded the catalyst drivers from the amd website. This has so far proven fruitless.

The actual way to install a graphics card is to plug it into the PCI slot, turn on the computer, when the "New hardware found" pops up, you click it and you either specify the location of the drivers(if you've downloaded them) or go on with the default installation if you're using the CD.
As far as I understood, you've mis-installed the drivers. Make sure to wipe them out of your HDD using some software(there are tons of 'em).
Then follow the procedure I gave you in this reply and let me know what happens.
m
l
September 21, 2012 7:20:15 PM

I can tell you now, those were the original steps i was following, but nothing ever poped up. I'll uninstall the drivers though. I'm going to be trying to see if my card works in someone elses computer later today, so we'll see how that works out
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:31:12 AM

Yeah, try that.
Remember to leave no trace of previous drivers when installing new ones. When you don't, it becomes a pain in the ass.
m
l
September 22, 2012 4:16:48 PM

Well, my friend had an old Nvidia GeoForce 6600t on hand, which my computer at least recognized, so I don't think its my motherboard. I think im just going to RMA the card and call it a day
m
l
September 22, 2012 9:45:26 PM

flaminwhale42 said:
Well, my friend had an old Nvidia GeoForce 6600t on hand, which my computer at least recognized, so I don't think its my motherboard. I think im just going to RMA the card and call it a day

Before you do that, are you completely sure it's necessary?

This is a rather weird possible solution, maybe you forgot to plug the PCI connector from your PSU into your graphics card. AFAIK, that card requires two connectors, so maybe you've plugged only one or none.
Maybe the O.S is faulty, it may be infected, therefore it can't recognize new hardware properly(it this was the case, then the O.S would randomly detect new devices. Pure self experience.)
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:21:55 AM

I did plug in both, and I brought it to a local P.C. shop near my town, and they agree with me. Thanks for the help though!
m
l
!