Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Good to use old PSU?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
February 3, 2013 12:05:14 PM

I am upgrading my old S775 E8400 to FX-6100 95W TDP and I intend to use every other part from the old PC (except MB,CPU,RAM). The thing is that I have quite and old PSU and it is also not a very good one. It is Inter-Tech SL-500. It got 500Watts maximum peak output, 30 A on 12V single rail(about 360W) and passive PFC. I am on a extremely tight budget and I shall ask if it is okay to use my system to the maximum with this PSU? It needs to power up 5770 GPU(draws about 90w~), FX-6100, two HDD's, 2 case fans. Thanks for answers.

More about : good psu

February 3, 2013 12:12:36 PM

zippeddd said:
I am upgrading my old S775 E8400 to FX-6100 95W TDP and I intend to use every other part from the old PC (except MB,CPU,RAM). The thing is that I have quite and old PSU and it is also not a very good one. It is Inter-Tech SL-500. It got 500Watts maximum peak output, 30 A on 12V single rail(about 360W) and passive PFC. I am on a extremely tight budget and I shall ask if it is okay to use my system to the maximum with this PSU? It needs to power up 5770 GPU(draws about 90w~), FX-6100, two HDD's, 2 case fans. Thanks for answers.


One thing to note is that a power supply will degrade over time. It loses a % of its wattage every year from what I have heard. You can always try using the old power supply though, if it's not powerful enough the PC will just fail to boot up.
February 3, 2013 12:18:12 PM

patrickthepink said:
One thing to note is that a power supply will degrade over time. It loses a % of its wattage every year from what I have heard. You can always try using the old power supply though, if it's not powerful enough the PC will just fail to boot up.


It is somewhere from 3.5 to 4 years to this PSU age. I'll just have to try my luck I guess. Lets hope nothing breaks lol.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:29:36 PM

It isn't old. A power supply can last a lot longer than that.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:37:13 PM

GhislainG said:
It isn't old. A power supply can last a lot longer than that.

I agree, but what he has is a $10 pos that should never have made it into a computer to begin with
February 3, 2013 12:42:47 PM

delluser1 said:
I agree, but what he has is a $10 pos that should never have made it into a computer to begin with


Are you serious? Why post something completely utterly negative and useless? What a pathetic guy you are to say in short. No need for more answers please, OCN covered the same question way better than this forum.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:50:21 PM

zippeddd said:
Are you serious? Why post something completely utterly negative and useless? What a pathetic guy you are to say in short. No need for more answers please, OCN covered the same question way better than this forum.

My apologies, didn't mean to offend you
You were told there that it's a cheap pos as well
February 3, 2013 12:55:35 PM

delluser1 said:
My apologies, didn't mean to offend you
You were told there that it's a cheap pos as well


First of all this PSU costs about 25-30$ new. Secondly you did not offend me by any means. I am just amazed about how ignorant people can be with such a huge amount of forum posts.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:58:29 PM

zippeddd said:
First of all this PSU costs about 25-30$ new. Secondly you did not offend me by any means. I am just amazed about how ignorant people can be with such a huge amount of forum posts.

Me too
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 1:28:04 PM

zippeddd said:
First of all this PSU costs about 25-30$ new. Secondly you did not offend me by any means. I am just amazed about how ignorant people can be with such a huge amount of forum posts.


1. dell knows more about PSU then anyone else on this forum

2. you yourself said "it's not very good"

3. you overpaid for that PSU that cost you $30 but can do over $300 in damage

4. are you really asking for opinions from people who know PSU are just someone to slap you on the back and say "go ahead and use it"?
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 1:39:00 PM

I have to do 0 research on this PSU. Here's why:

1 it's 500W and you paid $30 for it.

2 It's 3.5-4 years old

3. PASSIVE PFC

I mean come on. Really?

!