Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 8:42:05 PM

I am upgrading a system that I originally built as a Server, but decided I'd rather use it as a daily pc, and some gaming. It will have an i5, 8 gb of ram, and an EVGA z68 mATX motherboard, and a GTX 560(maybe ti). Those components are fine, and I have them ready to order. My main reason for this thread is to ask what the benefits of having a second graphics card for PhysX are? I have an old PNY 9800GTEE that I was thinking about using in the second PCIE slot as a PhysX card, but would it be worth it? Do enough games/programs utilize PhysX or should I just get rid of the 9800? Thanks in advance for any answers

More about : benefits physx card

Best solution

a c 671 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 8:46:41 PM

That card is good for doing PhysX and will bump up your performance in GPU accelerated PhysX games by roughly 25%. In a demanding game like Batman: Arkham City or Mafia 2 that advantage can make all the difference.

The big question is, what GPU accelerted PhysX games do you intend to play? If you play any at all, then in my opinion, it's worth it to install the dedicated card. Since you already have it on hand, it can't hurt to experiment with it.

Here's a list of GPU accelerated PhysX games. Check it and decide if you intend to play any on the list. Take note that there are several big titles upcoming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 8:51:53 PM

17seconds said:
That card is good for doing PhysX and will bump up your performance in GPU accelerated PhysX games by roughly 25%. In a demanding game like Batman: Arkham City or Mafia 2 that advantage can make all the difference.

The big question is, what GPU accelerted PhysX games do you intend to play? If you play any at all, then in my opinion, it's worth it to install the dedicated card. Since you already have it on hand, it can't hurt to experiment with it.

Here's a list of GPU accelerated PhysX games. Check it and decide if you intend to play any on the list. Take note that there are several big titles upcoming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

See I didn't really understand what PhysX was, but that page helped a lot. I guess I should have done some searching, but I still probably would have asked an opinion haha. I might have to get some of those games on that list, as I've heard good things about them. When you install the card, what steps are necessary to set it as a PhysX card?
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 8:58:40 PM

Do yourself a favor with the Ti version of the 560. Or wait for the new 660 Ti to come out :)  Like matto said it depends if you play PhysX games, and there aren't that many.

Personally I don't like the idea of a big old card in my rig generating more heat and consuming more power when a 560 Ti can easily and efficiently run any game on the market. To each his own though :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 9:04:28 PM

amk09 said:
Do yourself a favor with the Ti version of the 560. Or wait for the new 660 Ti to come out :) 

Im probably going to wait til the 660 comes out, but not to buy it. I'm hoping it drops the price of the 560ti pretty significantly haha. As far as the PhysX card goes, I'll probably do it, but just until I get a second card to run in SLI.
m
l
a c 671 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 9:17:40 PM

carowden said:
Im probably going to wait til the 660 comes out, but not to buy it. I'm hoping it drops the price of the 560ti pretty significantly haha. As far as the PhysX card goes, I'll probably do it, but just until I get a second card to run in SLI.

That's a good plan. You have plenty of options and time to be able to try different setups. You would just plug the card into an empty PCIe slot (it doesn't even need to be a full x16 slot), then configure it for PhysX under the PhysX tab in the Nvidia Control Panel. Do not use an SLI bridge, just plug it in separately. I would install the latest drivers after installing the card, but I'm not sure that's necessary.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 9:23:53 PM

Thanks for the answers guys! I appreciate the help
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 9:24:17 PM

Best answer selected by carowden.
m
l