Sign in with
Your question

Turning on Motherboard without case

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2012 2:30:47 AM

Hello, I am in the process of my first build. I'm trying to test out the MOBO but I don't know how to power it. I have an ASROCK Z77 Pro 3 model. Please help!
September 20, 2012 2:45:08 AM

On your board, usually on the bottom, are the pins you plug your case's power and reset buttons into. Read (in really small print) under those pins to find the power (pwr) pins. Bridge those two with a paperclip or key or something. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 3:13:54 AM

As ArcticWonder said using Jumper at the power pin... (edit: fixed, short it using metal object)
read the mobo manual (layout diagram) for make sure it was the right pin...

OOT: Sorry but i'm not agree with u slicedtoad,

sometimes human interaction in forum better than hard cold google search :D ...
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:16:42 AM

BTW it won't shock you if you're touching the piece you bridge them with... In case you're wondering XD
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:09:28 AM

I'm not sure that using a jumper to sustain a connection on the PWR pins is a good idea, the case 'power up' button is a momentary (it just pulses the connection),

its not a continuous connection after the button is pressed.

Using something like the tip of a screwdriver or a key to momentarily short out the PWR pins is the way to go.

Never heard of any problems using a jumper, but I like to play it safe.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:35:15 AM

yep, a momentary power jump is all ya need. just be VERY carefull that you and the components are all grounded properly - otherwise you'll have dead parts. also be sure to turn off and unplug (from the wall) the PSU before making any changes to all power or data connections between components.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:47:21 PM

While momentary is all that's needed, holding the bridge won't hurt anything (though it might not turn it on till you un-bridge, depending on the mobo). Holding the bridge should be the same as holding down the power button (which is used to hard-reset).
rdc85 said:
sometimes human interaction in forum better than hard cold google search :D ...

Keyword is sometimes. If you can find a directly relevant google result that answers your question...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 3:23:47 PM

oneeye_72 said:
I'm not sure that using a jumper to sustain a connection on the PWR pins is a good idea, the case 'power up' button is a momentary (it just pulses the connection),

its not a continuous connection after the button is pressed.

Using something like the tip of a screwdriver or a key to momentarily short out the PWR pins is the way to go.

Never heard of any problems using a jumper, but I like to play it safe.

+1

thanks for the fix, (My english kinda bad, I'm cannot find suitable word other than "jumper" :sweat:  )

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2012 3:32:37 PM

Well when I did my external build I just connected the case power button and used that to power it up...
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:30:58 PM

Apologies if I made it sound like it had to stay connected... They don't have to.
m
l
!