Is my power supply going bad?

Ehopk108

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
My PC has been shutting off randomly for the last few days. It seems to happen most frequently while having multiple programs running, like games and VLC player or Netflix. When it shuts down it goes completely black, just like someone pulled the power cord out, then I have to unplug the power supply and plug it back in to get the PC to respond.

I have been monitoring the temperatures of my CPU, GPU, and MB and have recorded temps during shut down as low as CPU-56c, GPU-65c, and MB-51c. Also, I cleaned my case very well and switched to a set of known good ram to no avail. I don't have another power supply that I could try and Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes scans came back clean. Does this sound like a dying power supply to you?

CPU- AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE @3.4ghz
GPU- XFX 6870 2gb
Ram- Adata 4gb DDR3 (2x2gb) 9 9 9 24
MB- Asus M4A87TD EVO
PSU- XtremeGear 700w

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Check all power supply connections make sure none are burnt or melted, if all connections are good try a known good power supply to test with, a good quality 500 watt power supply should be plenty to power your system. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec are good ones.

Ehopk108

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I wish I could borrow a power supply to test it, but I guess I will have to just buy a new one and try it. Thanks for the recommendations.