(this is the 3rd attempt for windows 7, before I didn't do all the updates and was hoping that might have caused a problem)
1) Windows 7 then WIN 7 SP1
2) ethernet driver (from CD)
3) then download all windows updates (like 30 restarts later)
4) installed chipset drivers (from CD, restart)
5) right click update display adapter, let it download automatically
--> on restart BLACK SCREEN, shows the windows logo "starting windows", you can see it turn blue with the welcome then it turns to BLACK screen and there is no image.
This will also happen if you install AMD catalyst Suite 12.8.
Everything will run until you update the graphics driver to recognize the 6410D, on restart you get no video signal. Tried connecting both VGA, DVI and DVI to HDMI
It will boot into safe mode, if I uninstall the graphics card driver it will boot back into windows and have signal again. But updating the driver will cause the black screen on restart (or blue screen on DVI to HDMI cable)
Also, tried swapping out the ram for different sticks, tossed in my 700w PS, different vga cable...Seems like its some driver issue...
Its the AMD A4-3400 Llano with integrated AMD Radeon HD 6410D
I tried letting windows automatically update the driver = Black screen
I tried AMD Catalyst Display Driver, Win 7 64-bit, vr. 12.8 dated 8/15/2012 = Black screen
The default display driver that loads with windows 7 will work, but its generic so no performance, i.e. windows graphics score = 1.0; right now under device manager it is listed as "other device" "Video Controller (VGA compatible)"
Still seems like a driver problem works "ok" with the 2006, but newer versions cause black screen of death
Maybe at this point its some kinda of hardware failure?? APU or motherboard?
Can the CPU/APU fail partially? Can a motherboard failure produce these symptoms?
that 2006 driver is a generic vga driver, very basic.
the full driver uses the full chip.
Yea, at this point I'm thinking my graphics portion of the APU is a dud...
- Tried AMD Catalyst Display Driver 11.12 = black screen
- I did find 1 of my corsair sticks is apparently dying after 1.5 yrs of use... (had tested overnight ~1.5yrs ago in my other computer); so pulled that memory tossed in the 8GB that came with this combo deal: G-Skill ARES 1600MHz, ran Memtest86+ overnight 7+ hours no problems. On restart w/updated drivers = black screen of death
- Runs Prime95 on Blend, ran it for awhile over breakfast
- Turned on sharing and remote desktop, on restart with updated graphic drivers = black screen and NO connection or sharing available
Will contact newegg later today and see what they say...
Thanks for all the ideas, believe it or not I finally accidentally fixed it.
I just got in a new cheap mid tower case today, a cooler master elite 430, the ONLY thing I hadn't swapped out was the case. So it a last ditch effort I moved all the parts over and what do you know it booted and is now running AMD CCC vr. 12.8
I am still not sure what it was, maybe a power connector wasn't fully seated (although I think they were all checked at least twice), maybe some sort of odd grounding problem with the motherboard. The case was an old recycled dell inspiron 530 I have for testing and it has the dimpled stand offs which are a bit larger than the screw in ones...
I'm not sure what but everything seems good now so far...knock on wood!
For under $125 total investment (recycled HD) it seems like a pretty good little machine now that its running.