reliable harddrive, westerndigital800 or IBM60GXP

snowc

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
I am looking to get a new harddrive 60gigs or hopefully more. I want a very reliable harddrive preferably 7200. It is hard to decide with everyone happy with certain brands making all of them look decent. From what i have read the IBM 60GXP is really good and the WesternDigital 80gig caviar looks good and cheap. although ive heard some bad stuff about western digital. Can anyone that has had either of these or any drive active for a long time 24/7 give me some feedback? thanks

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have had Western Digital and I didn't like them. I haven't heard any better things about them then IBM. So if you are only giving those two choices, hands down I would buy the IBM. If it was me I would buy a new Maxtor D740X 7200 rpm ATA133 HDB (Hydro Dynamic Bearing)80GB hard drive. That drive only has 2 platters and along with the HDB it's probably going to be really good ... it was just released so I wouldn't buy it right away, but if I was to buy today I would get a 60GB ATA100 7200 rpm drive from the Diamond Max Plus 60 series of drives.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

I would stay away from WD's as well. They tend to...well, not last very long. I'd take the Maxtor with HDB, although Seagate's are decent as well. Seagates are more expensive though, and you'll most likely have to order them because I don't think Seagate does standard retail anymore. The IBM is the better of the two that you are looking at, but IBM's are also the most expensive HDD that you can buy. I don't think IBM's are bad drives, they're just a bit overpriced. Maxtor is the best value-to-performance drive though, and I too highly recommend them. They're the drives that I use in the systems that I build.

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
I have a 40 gig IBM 60GXP or whatever it's called and I love it. I have had no problems with it at all. It's quiet and fast.

Now we're rockin like dokken!