Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 with 2GB DDR3, is it good?

Anonymatrix

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Im about to buy a CPU with an Intel Core i5 3.1Ghz
8gb of Ram
2 TB of HDD (yeah I think its too much eh)

And the screen resolution is:
1280x1024 LCD, with VGA Output

But the graphics card still bugs me, Im into gaming, and I'm planning to buy a gaming CPU, it doesnt have a graphic card, so I get to buy a separate one.
I saw the Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 with 2GB DDR3, can I use it to play the latest games? at least on medium or low to get a good framerate, if not, then what card should I get? I cant spend a lot of money though, the one im seeing costs 84$.

Im a novice at this stuff, thanks by the way.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
First, you should tell us what resolution your monitor is, because that makes a HUGE difference. It would also be helpful to know your power supply, but at your extremely low budget, power probably won't be a huge issue.

My first thought is that the 6450 is a bad deal at $84 and is a very weak card.
At that price I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

Although I would highly recommend trying to at least get this for $99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

If you are willing to increase your budget even farther, you can start to get MUCH better cards.

This is a good article to start getting an idea for what cards are good in certain price ranges:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Anonymatrix

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

It's 1280x1024.

The problem here, the prices increase due to exports and imports, in the country where I live, things get pretty expensive :/

Well, im getting a new one aswell, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Thank you, I'll look into it.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Ok, 1280x1024 is really low resolution by current standards, so you actually don't need a very powerful card as long as you plan on staying with that low resolution monitor.

But still stay away from that 6450 that you were looking at.

It sounds like a horrible choice. You say it comes with 2GB of video memory, which you are probably paying a lot more for. There is absolutely no need for that much memory at a low resolution. You do not need anything over 1GB.

Either of the cards I recommended should be much better and within the same general price, and should probably perform pretty well at that resolution.

This Radeon HD 6670 is probably the minimum that I would recommend. It would do fairly well at 1280x1024, especially if you are willing to play at medium graphics settings in some more demanding games. The price is $64.99, which is cheaper than the 6450 you were looking at, but it is a much better card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988

If you ever plan on gaming on a higher resolution monitor, I would seriously recommend considering a card closer to the $150 price range.

Anonymatrix

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I'll see if I can find the 6670, however, when I called to the Computer store in here, and asked about graphics cards they said: (I can't really remember well, it was like) nVidia Zogis Geforce (I think also GT) 610 with 2 gb, costs 82$ (again, prices get pretty high here)

Is that a better choice?

My monitor has a VGA output, so I need a graphics card that supports VGA.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
No, the GT 610 is not any better than the 6450. I don't know much about it but I think it is probably about the same, or maybe a little worse than the Radeon 6450.

I am not sure which cards support VGA. You could probably get an adapter, but that would cost more money.

Are you limited to only the cards that your local computer store has in stock?

Anonymatrix

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, I'll see what cards I can find, but it's not very easy to find a good one.

Also, should I create a new thread because im with some videocard problems, about nVidia and ATI? or just edit the title.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Ok. See if you can find a card at that price range, but with only 1GB of video memory. It will probably be a better card because you are not paying for the extra memory that you will never use.

And it might be best to start a new thread if you have a different topic. That way more people will see the new problem.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I agree, and have recommended that to him as well.
If you read the column, the issue is the availability and price in the country he lives in.
This really would be the best card in that budget range.

vanquishedangel

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

I use that card actually except mine is the one gig version, knowing that I am not sure the saffire comes with that much/type of vram so you better look deeper into it.

I use mine for gaming and it works great! I get anywhere from 20-80 fps on games and that is good for me. Last I knew it came with 1gig ddr3 or 512, It is meant as a htpc card.

To note: I use linux (Lubuntu 12.10) so my computer os uses less resources of the graphics card then windows does by default. The games I play are "Heroes of Newerth" "Neverwinter Nights" "Perfect World" and "Shaiya". I play with the graphics on high most of the time.

The only time I get the 20fps is when I am playing a game through wine, normally it is 50+ fps. I also OC the card to 720mhz GPU, 790mhz memory, 1 volt, with a linux program called amdoverdrivectl but it doesnt seem to improve anything. Also this card has a great OC potential for those that may be interested but do that at your own risk, my settings are very conservative.

Dipranil

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
There is a blue screen error in my desktop.this is my config
i3-540(3.06ghz)
4gb ram
500gb hdd
ati radeon hd 6450 2gb ddr3
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
please help me...
tell me how to solve this error..
i updated bios version and graphics driver also...but the problem not solved..pls help me