Sign in with
Your question

New PSU problem. UBER frustrated.

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2012 4:52:14 AM

So over a week ago my computer stopped working. I borrowed a psu, and it has been working like a charm ever since. I just got my new Seasonic psu in from newegg and have everything hooked up. I'm 100% sure it's hooked up correctly. However when I turn on the computer it starts for only a second then turns off. I checked my connections multiple times. Finally I unplugged and replugged the 24 pin mobo connector. I also unplugged the dvd drive. At this point it finally booted up, but I ended up nowhere because it didn't recognize my HD. I shut it off, replugged the dvd drive in. When I started it up this time smoke came billowing out of the dvd drive. Not sure if it was through the power or sata connection. I shot it off immediately. NOW WHAT????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
This is the thread for my first problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/52797-63-windows-infi...

This is the psu I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My system:
core i5 750
asrock p55 extreme mobo
4gb ddr 1600
gtx 560ti
500gb hitachi 7200rpm

EDIT: Looks like it burnt up a couple pins at the same exact spot on HD and optical drive for the PSU power connection.
September 20, 2012 2:44:18 PM

Is it safe to try out new hardware or will I burn it up too? Is my new psu maybe not regulating voltage right?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2012 2:59:29 PM

I would not hook anything else into the computer, would be better not to fry anything else. Not sure on a solution, just wanted to advise you not to fry more, it does sound like the PSU is the issue. What happened before that it "stopped working" resulting in the need to borrow a psu??
Related resources
September 20, 2012 3:12:02 PM

My computer wouldn't stay turned on. Kept turning off (no bsod) and rebooting itself. There is a link in the first post for a thread I made about that problem. Anyway, I borrowed a psu from a friend and it's been performing exceptionally well until I went to put in my new one yesterday.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2012 3:16:50 PM

I would almost have to say then it is the PSU. Most seem to think Seasonic to be a reputable brand, but with all manufacturers there is likely to be 1 or 2 that sneak by. If the only thing that has changed is the PSU, then that has to be it. The PC should not operate differently on different power sources as long as it has the adequate wattage to power the computer (and voltage on the rails but Seasonic is supposed to be reliable on that).
September 20, 2012 3:27:35 PM

Starts up fine with no sata connections hooked up. GFX card runs. Everything seems fine. I don't get any output to my screen though. Maybe because there isn't any bootable hardware hooked up?

EDIT: Wouldn't mean that my gfx card might be busted also would it? The green lights are on for both power connections and the fans are running. Hopefully it's because it has no drivers.
September 20, 2012 3:30:08 PM

chugot9218 said:
I would almost have to say then it is the PSU. Most seem to think Seasonic to be a reputable brand, but with all manufacturers there is likely to be 1 or 2 that sneak by. If the only thing that has changed is the PSU, then that has to be it. The PC should not operate differently on different power sources as long as it has the adequate wattage to power the computer (and voltage on the rails but Seasonic is supposed to be reliable on that).

When the Seasonic psu came in a velvety Crown Royal-esque bag I thought for sure it would be awesome! :pt1cable: 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2012 3:35:43 PM

Did you try using plugging your monitor into the MOBO and check for display? I was thinking that to fry the DVD drive it obviously had to be either the drive power or the sata connection that blew. If it works without anything plugged in through the SATA it could be a problem with those ports too. It all worked fine though before the PSU switch correct?
September 20, 2012 3:41:54 PM

Correct.

My 680watt Sunbeam stopped working correctly. I borrowed a 600watt Thermaltake from a friend. It's been running like a champ for 4 days. Got my new Seasonic in and BAM. I used the same SATA cables, different pci-e, mobo, cpu cables.
September 20, 2012 3:55:32 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/192/20120920000659.jpg

Should be able to tell where both connections fried in that picture.

EDIT: I successfully booted a Win7 boot stick. Too bad I don't have a harddrive. I'm gonna borrow a HD tonight and go from there. I'm hoping/guessing it had something to do with the old hd or optical.
!