Sign in with
Your question

AMD 6770 80C at 100% fan speed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 12:06:38 AM

My AMD 6770 runs at 80C at 100% fan speed while gaming. Idle temp is around 47C. It's free of dust so that's not the problem. It's OEM and in a pretty cramped case. If I buy a new card with a good cooler on it (Twin Frozr III) will it still run hot because of my case or will the temps be better? I read that heat pipe cooling is the best but only if you have good airflow. Is there any card I can get that will run at a better temp? I think 80C is too high.

And spare the lectures on prebuilts, please. I'm aware of all the details. I traded a laptop for this machine and I think I got a pretty good deal for an i7, AMD 6770, and 8Gb RAM.

Also, I use MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps and have a custom fan profile set up. With out running the custom fan, my card gets 105C+ during BF3. Needless to say, I ALWAYS run MSI Afterburner.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should also mention that if I buy a new card I will also buy a new PSU which may or may not decrease temps as well. And I would probably shoot for the 7850 which I think is plenty for one 1920x1080 monitor. Oh, and I wasn't intending to be hateful with the comment about being lectured. It's just that I know how these threads usually tend to go. "OMGz build a real PC!" But seriously, this is what I have to work with right now and I see no need to build an entirely new system and scrap this one unless I can't do anything about these temps.

One last thing (I know I'm long winded :pt1cable:  ), my i7 hits around 60C on all cores while gaming with the stock cooler. That seems okay to me, so maybe the card is a dud? I suspect it's just bad airflow though. But I'll shut up and see what you all have to say. :D 
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:11:14 AM

Can't you add a fan blowing cold air in to your case ? ( if it doesn't have it allready that is ) I have a pre build and i added two fans and it runs a lot cooler now.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:11:47 AM

You'd probably get way better temps with a better cooler. Even in a crammed case, the card should be that hot with 100% fan speed.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 1, 2012 12:14:58 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Can't you add a fan blowing cold air in to your case ? ( if it doesn't have it allready that is ) I have a pre build and i added two fans and it runs a lot cooler now.

Not sure if I can or not. I might be able to rig one up, but I have nowhere on the mobo to plug one in. Would a fan like that connect straight to the PSU (if I get a new one)? And would changing the single exhaust fan do any good?
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:15:13 AM

you can plug fans into the psu.

If you can a few fans won't hurt.
August 1, 2012 12:16:46 AM

One fan in the front (possibly) is all I could add.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:19:09 AM

That could make just that bit of a difference to get temps like 70-75 at lower gpu fanspeeds. You can connect it to a molex. ( the fan offen has a extra molex output connector so you don't lose a molex connection, or buy a molex splitter if you don't have a spare molex )
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:20:37 AM

hmmm, thats not every good since that doesn't really give you airflow.

I'd say a new card would run cooler either way.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:22:34 AM

esrever said:
hmmm, thats not every good since that doesn't really give you airflow.

I'd say a new card would run cooler either way.

Why not ? I have two down the bottem on the frontside and they work nicely. ( there shouldn't be anything in the offcourse )
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:24:08 AM

Blowing air in that is. I have a bigger one in the back blowing air out.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:24:52 AM

Do u had side fan intake? If not open the side panel of the case, it may not look good, but it quite effective....
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:25:23 AM

well blowing air into the case and not have it move the hot air out only really cools the area in front of the fan and where ever the case will leak air. I doubt a OEM case will have good paths for the air to go.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:31:08 AM

esrever said:
well blowing air into the case and not have it move the hot air out only really cools the area in front of the fan and where ever the case will leak air. I doubt a OEM case will have good paths for the air to go.

I don't agree. Getting cold air in the front ( low placed )and blowing hot air out at the back ( high placed ) will give you an airstream even with a oem case. I have a oem case and there is a noticeable difference in my gpu fan speed since i added the fans in front, it doesn't have to work that hard anymore. Maybe i'm lucky with my case ( there isn't anything in the way of the fan in front ) but still.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:33:10 AM

If there wasn't a fan in the back then it would be no good at all.
August 1, 2012 12:33:58 AM

esrever said:

There is a fan in the back.... I was saying I could possibly only add one (1) more making the total 2.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:36:14 AM

esrever said:

I believe every pc has a fan going out, so ? I don't get it.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 1, 2012 12:52:56 AM

oh nvm
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 6:45:39 AM

Anyway, you have three choiches you can try ;

1 open your case like rdc85 says and see if the temp is going down. ( cost you nothing ) If it works, get an extra fan and see if that's enough.

2 buy a fan for 5-10 euro. ( if it works you solved your problem for 10 bucks )

3 buy a new gpu. ( if it get's hot like the other you still will have to buy the fan and you did spend a lot of money on a new card while you didn't need it )
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 7:04:04 AM

Get a case that will likely last longer than you will, something like the HAF XM. Just transplant everything across. OEM cases are 100% rubbish.
August 1, 2012 7:29:03 AM

I'm also using HD 6770 (Sapphire) and was playing BF3 on high settings a while ago 1776x1000. Temp are only around 50-55C. I'm using a Coolermaster Storm Trooper. Pretty much a cool case with so many fans here and there. What's your case by the way?

your idle temp is too hot, mine is only 39C right now just browsing through the internet and room temperature just around the same.
August 1, 2012 1:05:40 PM

wow that is hot. there's only this small window mesh below that acts as a vent, there's no front intake fans either... how many fans are in the case? just one at the back?
if you plan to play BF3 for long hours, I suggest you just open the side panel and get a desk fan or stand fan blowing into the board and other components. I'm pretty sure there will be a HUGE improvement on the temperature readings.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 2:56:27 PM

Looks like the card had not much room to breath, and i'm cannot imagine the airflow in the case, opening side panel will be good route...
August 1, 2012 11:05:44 PM

Opening the side panel raises idle temps, haven't tried it while gaming. I think I'm going to buy a drive bay fan controller and two 120mm fans from Newegg and see how that does. Total investment will only be around $25 so it can't hurt. I know if I install a front fan it won't be able to draw in maximum airflow due to the design of the case but some has got to be better than none. The back fan I have now doesn't run very fast at all and never goes up ever. I think the fan controller will be good so that I can set the speed to what I want.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 11:58:52 PM

More fans won't help a poorly designed case.
August 2, 2012 12:38:17 AM

Smeg45 said:
More fans won't help a poorly designed case.

So pulling air in to the case and pushing it out the back won't be any better than just having one low power exhaust fan? Yeah, explain that one to me.
August 2, 2012 12:39:27 AM

Opening the side up and putting a fan blowing in on it lowered the temps by 10C. I'm pretty sure getting an intake fan and better quality exhaust fan will lower my temps.
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 1:15:33 AM

rlg5150 said:
So pulling air in to the case and pushing it out the back won't be any better than just having one low power exhaust fan? Yeah, explain that one to me.

Look at the case. Your answer is there.
August 2, 2012 1:24:19 AM

Why because it's small?
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:37:00 AM

rlg5150 said:
Opening the side up and putting a fan blowing in on it lowered the temps by 10C. I'm pretty sure getting an intake fan and better quality exhaust fan will lower my temps.

I think this is the best solution or buying better case...

it not because it small

the usual airflow is from (intake) botom/side/front and flow to (exhaust) top and rear... since hot air is moving up...

In your case there is an exhaust by PSU and rear fan. but no intake just some grill in the bottom

The airflow is blocked by your GPU then pushed to the back leaving entire case temp not so good,,,,

just buy some fans doesn't seems will increase the airflow.
August 2, 2012 2:44:43 AM

There is plenty of room for air to go from the front bottom over the gpu to the exhaust if I add a fan. That pic makes it look like there's no room but that metal cage is empty with only one hdd in it.

I've heard it would be hard to transplant to a new case because of issues with the front panel connectors.
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:01:34 AM

Well, the only way to know is trial and error. try those fans and see if it helps...
August 2, 2012 5:20:54 AM

rlg5150 said:
Why because it's small?

yes, size is a huge factor. let me give an illustration. The hardware are heat sources like a flame in a stove-top, the case is the frying pan. A 16cm frying pan's surface area would heat up faster than a 32cm frying pan's surface area. I can personally testify to this based on my experience from using an atx generic case to an midtower NZXT guardian case and now to a CM storm trooper fulltower.

airflow is something you MUST consider.
take this diagram for example which looks like your case right now:

http://www.compute-aid.com/images/airflow.gif

There's a vent in front and in the side but typical generic cases only allows you to mount fans at the back and some at the side. I had this kind of setup before with my athlon II X4 640 and GT 220 setup. It was HOT I tell you, the videocard reaches 79C when playing something and the processor up to 65C. Front intake is very important. I remember reading a guide about casing air flow. Let me quote it below: (quoted from http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4285...)

Balanced Airflow:

Push / pull or Fan In / Fan Out System - It's not as easy as just having your fan cfms and sizes matching because they don’t always give you evenly balanced airflow through your case. This is because it is a lot harder to push air into a case than out of the case so you need a little more cfms from your exhaust fans to equal out the airflow or the result will be, you will end up with a slightly negative pressure airflow system unless you have slightly bigger intake fans than exhaust fans even though they are of the same size so don’t just assume two 80mm 45cfm fans in the front and two 80mm 45cfm fans in the rear will give you a balanced airflow. (Although it should be close enough not to matter)

Positive Pressure Airflow System:

More Air in Than Air Out - the benefit to this type of system is supposed to be that it pulls in less dust than a negative airflow system but this is a false idea. Weather the fan draws the air in or directly blows it in it is still the same air from your room. If your room is dusty your case will be dusty.

A simple air supply test is to just check the amount of air your system is exhausting through the small holes in the back of your case, if you can feel a gentle draft coming out then you are restricted and should adjust the airflow by reducing the cfms of your intake fans or making bigger exhaust openings to balance things out.

Negative Pressure Airflow System:

More Air Out Than Air In - the benefit to this type of system is they are quieter because they have slower fans that move less cfms so they run quieter. one main disadvantage is because of the slower airflow it can build up heat quickly if the airflow is restricted in any way so you need to be sure you temperatures are in the safe ranges during heavy gaming activity when heat can build up quickly.

Often people will use fan controllers to speed up fans for better cooling while gaming and yet still have a nice quiet computer when they are just doing normal computing activities.

Why does a positive airflow system get less dusty than a negative airflow system?

Both systems have the exact same amount of dust moving through them but it tends to settle on things in a negative airflow system more, only because the air is moving slower. Think of a fan blowing feathers around in a small room, as long as the fan keeps blowing fast they all stay airborne but put the fan on slow speed and everything will be covered in feathers. The same applies to dust in your computer; it is the airflow "inside" the computer that determines how fast your computer gets dusty. You can reduce dust building up by putting a fan inside the case just to keep the air stirred up so dust won’t settle and it can then be exhausted out the back of the case by the fans.

Im using the POSITIVE PRESSURE AIRFLOW SYSTEM, I think it offers the best cooling setup.

Lastly, cases are important since they will determine the kind of airflow system you can build. Take this case for example:
http://dungeondogz.blogspot.com/2012/03/nzxt-switch-810...

You CAN'T create good air flow if your current case DOESN'T ALLOW you to do that unless you make some modifications like making blow holes in the side panel, at the bottom, top and front. Your PC is pretty much high end with that i7 processor. Consider investing in a good case and don't let that baby fry in heat.
!