AMD 6770 80C at 100% fan speed

rlg5150

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
My AMD 6770 runs at 80C at 100% fan speed while gaming. Idle temp is around 47C. It's free of dust so that's not the problem. It's OEM and in a pretty cramped case. If I buy a new card with a good cooler on it (Twin Frozr III) will it still run hot because of my case or will the temps be better? I read that heat pipe cooling is the best but only if you have good airflow. Is there any card I can get that will run at a better temp? I think 80C is too high.

And spare the lectures on prebuilts, please. I'm aware of all the details. I traded a laptop for this machine and I think I got a pretty good deal for an i7, AMD 6770, and 8Gb RAM.

Also, I use MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps and have a custom fan profile set up. With out running the custom fan, my card gets 105C+ during BF3. Needless to say, I ALWAYS run MSI Afterburner.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should also mention that if I buy a new card I will also buy a new PSU which may or may not decrease temps as well. And I would probably shoot for the 7850 which I think is plenty for one 1920x1080 monitor. Oh, and I wasn't intending to be hateful with the comment about being lectured. It's just that I know how these threads usually tend to go. "OMGz build a real PC!" But seriously, this is what I have to work with right now and I see no need to build an entirely new system and scrap this one unless I can't do anything about these temps.

One last thing (I know I'm long winded :pt1cable: ), my i7 hits around 60C on all cores while gaming with the stock cooler. That seems okay to me, so maybe the card is a dud? I suspect it's just bad airflow though. But I'll shut up and see what you all have to say. :D

rlg5150

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Not sure if I can or not. I might be able to rig one up, but I have nowhere on the mobo to plug one in. Would a fan like that connect straight to the PSU (if I get a new one)? And would changing the single exhaust fan do any good?

That could make just that bit of a difference to get temps like 70-75 at lower gpu fanspeeds. You can connect it to a molex. ( the fan offen has a extra molex output connector so you don't lose a molex connection, or buy a molex splitter if you don't have a spare molex )

Why not ? I have two down the bottem on the frontside and they work nicely. ( there shouldn't be anything in the offcourse )

I don't agree. Getting cold air in the front ( low placed )and blowing hot air out at the back ( high placed ) will give you an airstream even with a oem case. I have a oem case and there is a noticeable difference in my gpu fan speed since i added the fans in front, it doesn't have to work that hard anymore. Maybe i'm lucky with my case ( there isn't anything in the way of the fan in front ) but still.

rlg5150

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

There is a fan in the back.... I was saying I could possibly only add one (1) more making the total 2.

Anyway, you have three choiches you can try ;

1 open your case like rdc85 says and see if the temp is going down. ( cost you nothing ) If it works, get an extra fan and see if that's enough.

2 buy a fan for 5-10 euro. ( if it works you solved your problem for 10 bucks )

3 buy a new gpu. ( if it get's hot like the other you still will have to buy the fan and you did spend a lot of money on a new card while you didn't need it )

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I'm also using HD 6770 (Sapphire) and was playing BF3 on high settings a while ago 1776x1000. Temp are only around 50-55C. I'm using a Coolermaster Storm Trooper. Pretty much a cool case with so many fans here and there. What's your case by the way?

your idle temp is too hot, mine is only 39C right now just browsing through the internet and room temperature just around the same.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

wow that is hot. there's only this small window mesh below that acts as a vent, there's no front intake fans either... how many fans are in the case? just one at the back?
if you plan to play BF3 for long hours, I suggest you just open the side panel and get a desk fan or stand fan blowing into the board and other components. I'm pretty sure there will be a HUGE improvement on the temperature readings.

rlg5150

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Opening the side panel raises idle temps, haven't tried it while gaming. I think I'm going to buy a drive bay fan controller and two 120mm fans from Newegg and see how that does. Total investment will only be around $25 so it can't hurt. I know if I install a front fan it won't be able to draw in maximum airflow due to the design of the case but some has got to be better than none. The back fan I have now doesn't run very fast at all and never goes up ever. I think the fan controller will be good so that I can set the speed to what I want.