Sign in with
Your question

HP M7334n and Sapphire Radeon HD5450

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 12:24:31 AM

My daughter has an older HP m7334n (everything is stock components except for a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and a Geforce 8600 GT). I thought the graphics card was going out recently because the monitor would come on and then say no signal (turns out that the problem was the monitor) but before I knew this, I ordered a Sapphire Radeon HD5450 from Newegg to replace the old Geforce card. When I install the new card, the CPU fan runs full speed and one the DVD drives sound like it keeps trying to access something and there is no video output whatsoever.

The card was only $29.99 with a $15 rebate meaning it's only going to cost $14.99 if I mail the rebate in. My question is, is this an issue with a defective card (that I should RMA it), or does it have something to do with the PC being older (I think it's only PCI Express 1.0, but I read that the graphics card should be backwards compatible) and therefore should just eat the $14.99 and sell the card?

a c 92 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:28:30 AM

there might be a incompatibility issue. If there are any updates for the motherboard bios, you should update it. Some pci-e 1.0 ports won't work with 2.1 cards.

you can look for a pci-e 2.0 card if you can't get it working.
m
l
!