Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hi Experts,

My config is:
Core i5 2500k
Asus P8P67-M (B3 revison)
Corsair 4gb RAM
PSU Corsair VX 450
current GPU - MSI HD 5450 (no external power supply req, no fan)

Past few days, I have been facing a strange problem, My computer freezes randomly and everything comes to a halt.. Even Num Lock key press is not taken in by the system. So I have to power it off, cause even the reset button doesn't respond. When I power it back on my CPU fan starts and I can see a green LED glowing on my motherboard, however there is nothing on the screen which comes up and a point which i noticed is that there is a red LED too on my motherboard (which lit's up and goes off if the boot is successful ) doesn't glow at all...

The system comes up again to life after a few hours and the same thing happens back after 1-2 hours of operation. The freezing happens more quickly and rapidly when i start any games e.g. Fifa 12.

I have kept a constant check on my temperatures using hardware monitor : found out that my CPU core temperatures are arnd 40- 45 C when idle. I have the stock heatsink n fan provided by intel for the processor.

Please suggest me the plan of action so that this problem could be resolved.

Regards,
Kishore.

Reubengr8

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
There a several reasons why your computer is freezing. First question is when was the last time you cleaned your registry. Having a corrupted registry can cause a whole host of errors and problems. Freezing up is one of them. If you have a lot of unnecessary registry keys that are hogging up your computer resources. Your computer is bound to choke. Scan your registry with a good registry cleaner. If you pull up more than 20 errors or duplication, clean your registry.

2. Depending on your RAM specs and your computer usage. This could also be a the issue. Having an insufficient amount of free space does not allow your RAM to function properly. If you are using a lot of RAM by net surfing or other activities without enough empty space your will get freezes. You don't need to buy new RAM but you should increase your free space by removing unnecessary data and perhaps increasing your virtual memory. The below link will show you how.

3. Spyware could be the culprit, so do a scan and see if your computer is infected.

4. That last area is a hardware drivers. This could be the problem if new hardware has been added to the system. So, the drivers should still be up to date. So try the first two suggestion and see if you can get your computer to stop freezing.

Also,
There are two common causes for this to happen:
1) Software error/bug:
Try booting your windows into safe mode by keeping pressing F8 while the computer starts and choosing the safe mode option. Then, after windows loads, click start -> run and type on the box "msconfig" and press enter.
in the new window, choose "Startup" and de-select the applications you don't need to be run all the time. One of them may be the cause of the problem.
2) Hardware defunction: If the above solution won't help, make sure there is no hardware fault by replacing your hardware, and testing the system stability after replacing each part.

Check your drivers. Hope this helps.

Ahem.

I think I'll just lead by demonstration here.

Kishore, are you saying it takes about two hours before your PC will boot properly after a crash?

This is usually an indication of a PSU problem. It can be a problem with a PSU component or a cooling issue. ONLY your PSU has enough mass to hold on to heat for more than an hour... do you understand what I'm saying?

You have also stated that your CPU core idle temps are 40-45C. This may be a bit high, depending on your ambient temps... and IF it is high at idle it may be overheating under load.

Those LEDs on your board mean very specific things. They light up and clear as your motherboard goes through its starting diagnostics, and can help isolate an issue.

I suggest you do the following:

1. Remove the side of your case and make sure that the PSU and CPU fans are both spinning. Visually inspect for excess dust, and clean as needed using compressed air.

2. Point a household or desk fan into the case and see if that corrects the situation. Measure your CPU temps under load and make sure they are not going over 70C.

3. If your CPU temps are high, consider just replacing the cooler with one that attaches better and comes with fresh thermal paste.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

kisshenoy

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for your quick reply.. Yes i'm understanding wht ur trying to say... I'll try with a new PSU to see if the problem reoccurs with it... and also try n follow the steps mentioned by you with my old PSU... Will let you know the results once done..