What would YOU upgrade?

theicon86

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
So I want to upgrade something(s). I'm mildly disappointed with my motherboard, since my MSI Z68A-GD65 crapped after about 6 months and at the worst possible moment, I just bought the exact same board except it's the Z77. When the replacement Z68 came I just sold it to my boss. I mainly play video games, some photo editing, I will be studying computer programming and the like so my computer usage will change.

System

CPU........................ i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz
RAM........................ 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Motherboard.......... MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU........................ EVGA GTX 670 4GB (SCREAMING deal @ 399.99, was cheaper than the 2GB!!!)
Heatsink................ Hyper 212+
PSU....................... Antec 750W of some sort
Hard Drives............ Older Corsair 60GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, some 256gb HDD, some 1TB HDD
Disc Drive.............. some blu ray thing
Case...................... Corsair 600T

OPTIONAL READING BELOW!!!

This is what I'm considering upgrading, in order of interest greatest to least:

1) RAM. I hear that more RAM = a greater MINIMUM FPS increase in games. My Max will stay the same, but my min will get a bump. But really, how much of a bump? Vanilla Skyrim with the highest settings is around 70- 200 with vsync off, with my 30 mods it goes from about 45 - 70. In BF3 with the highest settings on multiplayer I get about 55+.

2) Heatsink. My cpu runs a little warmer than I see others getting with a 2600k overclock. Idle temps are at about 32 -35c when ambient is around 18 - 20c. With Prime95 the temps go to about 75c max, and 78c when ambient is 27c. They never reach those temps other than torture testing, though. I'm interested in a custom water cooling rig, but I get discouraged everytime I do some research.

3) CPU - But should I just wait for Haswell? Is Ivy worth the PCIe 3.0, despite the crappy thermal paste they use inside the chip?

4) PSU - Not for the Watts, but my PSU was an emergency purchase and it's not modular. I would love to have a modular PSU.

5) Your surprise suggestions!

Solution
Agreeing with above -- none of your primary components itching for an upgrade. Most are still top of the line.

Particularly in agreement on monitor (s) - you can always go to a higher resolution/more monitors. Multiple monitors might even justify a second 670...

This would be a good time to invest in a real high-end water cooling system.

SURPRISE SUGGESTIONS:
-Fancy new desk to put it in
-Peripherals. (I have pretty much all of the Logitech gaming stuff ... 7.1 headsets are totally worth it.)

theicon86

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Ok, I didn't know if Ivy Bridge would really help all that much with my graphics card. I understand that my system is nice, but man I'm addicted to building computers. This was my first build with a nice budget and now that I can't do many meaningful upgrades, I'm lost.... LOST I TELL YA!!!!

But a ~10% upgrade to Ivy Bridge really isn't worth the cost of a new processor. As for a second monitor, I can't imagine that would be good for gaming. Am I wrong? For work, though, I can imagine it. That would be nice, I'll definitely consider that. Any other uses people can think of? My monitor now is a 1080P 23" Asus 120hz. Do I need to get one with a similar refresh rate?

Thanks for all the replies so far. This community is amazing.

doct3rphil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Awesome system, no real reason to upgrade, BUT here's what I would do. Either:
1) Get a 80+ platinum modular PSU
2) Sell and consolidate the SSDs to one 512GB + your storage HDD
3) Save for 2nd GTX 670
4) tri-monitor setup (little over $300 for two more depending)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Agreeing with above -- none of your primary components itching for an upgrade. Most are still top of the line.

Particularly in agreement on monitor (s) - you can always go to a higher resolution/more monitors. Multiple monitors might even justify a second 670...

This would be a good time to invest in a real high-end water cooling system.

SURPRISE SUGGESTIONS:
-Fancy new desk to put it in
-Peripherals. (I have pretty much all of the Logitech gaming stuff ... 7.1 headsets are totally worth it.)

Solution

theicon86

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Yeah, I'm currently building my basement room and I'm going to build a fancy in the wall workstation for it. It's going to be awesome. Of course the peripherals are a good suggestion, I'll research those 7.1 headsets. So far I think your extra suggestions puts you over the top as the winner!

TRENDING THREADS