Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7970 crashing repeatedly in WoW

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 1:08:09 AM

Hello, I have recently built a new rig. I picked up a Diamond Radeon HD 7970 GPU, i7-3770K(1155) CPU, MSI Z77A MB and a Corsair TX650 power supply. No overclocking going on at all.

I have been experiencing repeated crashing while playing World of Warcaft but not with any other games. I downloaded the most recent beta drivers for my GPU and I am still crashing. I am fairly certain it is not an overheating problem as CCC says my GPU temp is between 50 and 55 deg. C every time I look.

I have tried underclocking the GPU and increasing the power in CCC but that has not worked.

I am really at a loss as to why this is happening and I am looking for any assistance that can be provided.

Many thanks.
August 1, 2012 2:28:48 AM

Have you played without any add ons installed? Back when I used to play WoW add ons would start to crash me after being stable for months at a time.
m
l
August 1, 2012 2:58:09 AM

Quote:
Have you played without any add ons installed? Back when I used to play WoW add ons would start to crash me after being stable for months at a time.

That was a good thought, I didn't even consider it. However I just disabled all add-ons and still managed to get it to crash, so I think that is not what is causing it.
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2012 3:12:52 AM

trapper said:
What drivers are you running? Have you re-installed them, or tried another version? I've been stable on the 12.7 beta drivers for a month now: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad... (link says vista, but its W7 too).

I just installed 12.7 beta about 4 hours ago, though I did not do a driver wipe beforehand since it was a clean install prior to that. I will wipe my drivers and re-install 12.7 beta.
m
l

Best solution

August 1, 2012 3:25:14 AM

If the re-install doesnt work the only other thing I can think of right now is for you to run the diagnostic tool for WoW. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it worked for me a few times.
August 1, 2012 3:50:07 AM

Uninstalled and re-installed 12.7 beta drivers and made it worse. Before when it crashed the screen would just go black and my monitor would search for a signal. It crashed again this time but my monitor was displaying alternating black and blue vertical lines and the fan on my card got extraordinarily loud, and on top of that I couldn't even soft reset my comp.
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:10:46 AM

To me is sounds like an issue with WoW somewhere along the lines. If other games aren't having the issue it's directly related to something in WoW. Have you tried running the diagnostic tools?

Worst case you could run a complete re-installation of the game and see if it runs. Just install it in a different location to your current install and see if that runs.
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:28:51 AM

Best answer selected by mcarey.
m
l
!