What do I need to know before building?

seanpull

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
So, all of my components are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I just have a few questions, as well as I want to know if there's anything that I should know before starting. Any major mistakes you've made, easy ways to break parts, etc. I know where everything goes, and how everything plugs in from YouTube videos, but things like shorting out parts, or just any common mistakes that first time builders usually make. Lastly, a few questions:

Is a tile floor anti static?

Will any type of metal ground me out?

And that's about it. I really appreciate any help I can get. I can't afford to break any parts!

:bounce:

Depends on the tile, but if you are taking proper pre-cautions it wont matter.
All metal is conductive to electricity.

Personal experience Pro-Tips!
Remember to put in the I/O shield before screwing your motherboard down (that was pretty annoying when I did it).

Test bench the machine outside the case first.

Dont put too much Thermal Paste on (I hate doing it personally, its the one bit of PC assembly that doesn't just slot in).

Dont be too ashamed to scream "ITS ALIVE!" upon first POST... This is a vital step in any new PC assembly, otherwise you may dis-please the computing gods and they will strike you down with broken HDD's and bad overclocks!

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Exactly what I did! :lol: :na:

seanpull

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hey guys, I just want to let everyone know that my first PC build went great! I got it to post in a test bench setup, but couldn't even get into the BIOS because my motherboard has some weird feature that like cuts you off before the BIOS if there's no drive connected (HDD or Optical). I thought that I had shorted my motherboard because when I was screwing in screws, my screwdriver slipped (say that 5 times fast), and smacked right into the motherboard, but even though metal touched the top of the board, nothing got shorted. Anyway, thanks for all of your responses guys, I really appreciate it! Now the last step: Install Windows!