[Help!] New graphics card faulty? or PSU? Or something else?!

guiberu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
First up, my specifications:

Gigabyte H61 Motherboard
i3 2120
4gb (2x2) Corsair 1333mhz DDR3
Colorsit 650w PSU

I purchased a new VtX 6670 2gb from AvForums, which arrived yesterday. After going to install the card, I noticed my PC was already off. Turns out the HD had died during the night, as it now crunches and clicks when trying to load Windows.

I figured this would be as it was an old WDC 2.5" drive that came with the original tower (prior to me upgrading to the above), and it's time was up. So I installed Windows 7 onto a spare drive, and away I went.

Then came the installation of the card. The first time I popped it in, I got no display from the HDMI port. So I went through and ensured the integrated graphics were disabled on my BIOS, and restarted. I managed to get a display, into the desktop, and install the drivers for the card. Then I restarted.

Now I can't get a display. I've restarted and reseated the card - nothing. The PC also now occasionally starts to boot, but then dies (pre-fan speedup) once or twice before kicking in properly and posting.

If I remove the graphics card, reset the CMOS and boot from the integrated graphics - it's all fine. No failure to boot, and full display.

I'm thinking it's one of the following (in descending likelihood).

* Underpowered PSU (despite being 650w, and the card saying it requires only 400w)
* Faulty Graphics Card (Although it was unopened, and worked momentarily?)
* Faulty PCIe port (although its a brand new board from Novatech)

I'm also thinking the underpowered PSU could have contributed to the death of my original hard drive?

But before I go and spend money on a new PSU, I'd appreciate some second opinions!

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Dude, that PSU SUCKS, i bet all the money i have that your PSU caused your HDD to fail.

A cheap 30$ Corsair CX430 will be more than enough to power your build.

guiberu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'm just on a rather tight budget :)

Do you mind if I keep the thread "open" until I confirm PSU is the problem? I'm equally certain it is - but still.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Sure :D