Solved

Psu whining

Hey guys
i just upgraded my PSU on the advice of the community from a unbranded 750w psu, to the 'xfx 650 bronze XXX' i had been having a problem that when playing games after say 10-20 minutes of play the whole pc would randomly reboot. after consulting on here the general consensus was that it was either cpu or psu. and i have to say that since installing the new psu i have not had the problem yet. so thanks,
however the power supply when connected makes a strange electrical whining noise. i have heard it could be to do with the coil? it definitely isnt the fan, and i was wondering if there was anything anybody knew about this problem. whether there was a way of stopping the noise, or if it is just a general problem that some psu's have??
thanks
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whining
  1. Best answer
    What you are hearing is known as 'coil whine' and in some cases can be eliminated by changing the load on the PSU. Adding a fan or two may be all that is needed or even overclocking (if possible) may increase the load enough to reduce or eliminate the noise. On a more sour note, I have seen where otherwise good PSU's would continue to whine regardless of load - hope that isn't the case here
    Hope it helps
  2. Thanks, luckily for me i have a good relationship with the place where i bought the product, and they have said that if the noise doesnt go away they will happily replace it for me. i shall try overclocking my cpu abit then. havnt done that much before,i have a i7 920, and it is currently running at 3.3 ghz. i have just put the xmp setting on in the bios and most settings to auto. Not too sure how much higher i should go?
    my system has 3 fans, 560ti, 16gb ram two HDs, 1 SSD, and a hyper evo 212 cpu cooler.
    any help would be great??
  3. Yeah it sounds like coil whine. typical in systems where the graphics card is connected via a 6 pin or something similar. You generally get it when the graphics card requires a lot of power loading something, however other components can cause it too.

There is no way of solving it (as far as i am aware). You can try and get it replaced but a lot of PSU manufacturers will only replace them if it is excessive.
  4. xfx powersupply is made from seasonic and some of there units make a coil sound, u can try to rma it but im unshur if its specific to some models or just a defect on some.
  5. no worries! thanks for all the help. i have tried a number of methods from over clocking my pcu, to underclocking, to changing the load on the gpu. nothing seems to be doing the job. so i think i will just take it back and try another. hopefully it is just a couple of them. not all the models. very frustrating though as i have been using a unbranded 750w psu for the past 5 years and have never understood why when i played games my rig would shut itself down! all clear now! haha.
  6. no problem.
  7. Best answer selected by callumorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components