Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GPU thermal paste problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 2:50:55 AM

I bought a new budget pc used wth a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT and it idles at 65 degrees C and at full load it goes to 95C.
Normal games it is 75-80C. So while browsing the forums I noticed that these temps where too hot and a soulotion was to re-appy the thermal paste.So i did this and now it idles at 62C and i'm worried because the other video cards idle at 40-50C and i recall something about the paste curing so i don't want to play games yet. what did i do wrong and why is it still so hot while idling?
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2012 3:07:20 AM

that card always ran warm, your temps look fine
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:11:28 AM

ct1615 said:
that card always ran warm, your temps look fine

Thanks for such a fast response, but i have 2 more questions,1. do i still have to wait 25 hours of idle to go full load, and 2. is 100C unusual for this card?
m
l
Related resources
a c 643 U Graphics card
a c 435 Î Nvidia
August 1, 2012 3:18:27 AM

You need to check your thermal paste label to see if it has a curing time. Many do not require curing, others do.

Hopefully, you used a very, very thin layer of paste and firmly secured the heatsink back on without any air bubbles. It's also hot, at least where I am this time of year, so high GPU temps are natural.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:21:08 AM

najirion said:
hmmm.. that card is known to be reeeeeeeeeally hot. Applying thermal paste is really tricky (based on experience). Too much then its not that effective. It should only look like this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Hmm, the part that i put it on was square/rectangle so i'm thinking the previous owner upgraded the cooler.Also, i think i may have put a little too much. is it worth it to re-re-apply, or are these temps just as good?
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2012 3:22:06 AM

cab987 said:
Thanks for such a fast response, but i have 2 more questions,1. do i still have to wait 25 hours of idle to go full load, and 2. is 100C unusual for this card?

you should be able to go full load from the start. while the temps should drop a little from initially applying paste, it is not a drastic drop. a GPU can handle 100c but you need to look into a cooling solution if you are continuously reaching that mark.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:31:41 AM

ct1615 said:
you should be able to go full load from the start. while the temps should drop a little from initially applying paste, it is not a drastic drop. a GPU can handle 100c but you need to look into a cooling solution if you are continuously reaching that mark.

it does get that high while playing some games like farcry 2 and crysis 1 on full settings. What do you suggest as a cooling souloution. I have 1x 120mm in the rear blowing outward , 1x 120mm in the fron blowing into the case and then the generic PSU,CPU and GPU fans,the case is the Tsunami Dream. There is also a smaller fan that goes on the clear siding towards my monitor but i took the whole side off fo better air flow.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 3:32:28 AM

I had an 8800GT single slot solution, awesome card. The fan didn't kick up to 100% until it hit 100degrees, the card is/was 4 years old, and still going strong, so no, don't worry dude!!!!
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2012 3:35:42 AM

try MSI afterburner to increase fan speed
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:40:49 AM

ct1615 said:
try MSI afterburner to increase fan speed

I'm using EVGA precision, unless MSI afterburner increases all fan speeds?But, MSI is a company and EVGA is a company so i think they are the same thing
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:41:46 AM

teh_gerbil said:
I had an 8800GT single slot solution, awesome card. The fan didn't kick up to 100% until it hit 100degrees, the card is/was 4 years old, and still going strong, so no, don't worry dude!!!!

Whoa, that really lifted my hopes up, thanks dude!
m
l
!