Sign in with
Your question

CPU heatsink fan speeds up without major increase in temps

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2013 4:44:16 PM

Ok, this is the third time I have tried asking you guys this. I have transferred all my hardware to a new case, my airflow is awesome and i have all my case fans connected to the fan controller. All case fans run quiet, my psu fan is quiet and my GPU is running with temps as low as 28°C idle and 50°C load, not making the fan speed go above just a little audible. I have absolutely 100% confirmed it is my cpu fan. I hand stopped the fan just for a split second when the noise was great, all the noise came from the cooler. My bios does not have any cooling profile and my cpu fan is not recognized by any fan controller software said to be able to control cpu fans. I did not change any hardware in the move. I have tried re-applying the thermal paste and re-seating the heatsink. Could it be a faulty temp monitor on the motherboard? Could it be something wrong with the cooler itself? If it comes down to it, i will buy a new motherboard and an h100. The mobo has no chance of going back to the manufacturer as it is a Dell one and they wouldn't take kindly to having the cpu and motherboard being the only remaining parts of their original system.
February 3, 2013 5:22:35 PM

Buy a new fan?
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:15:47 PM

cmcghee358 said:
Buy a new fan?

It isnt constantly loud, it pulses.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2013 8:27:48 PM

Buy a fanless aftermarket Heatsink. Then it doesnt matter!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2013 10:05:28 PM

What cpu do you have? Does it pulse only when gaming or at random?

Edit: is it a stock fan or aftermarket?
m
l
February 3, 2013 10:28:30 PM

J_E_D_70 said:

I have an I5-2320, It ramps up mainly when I start an application or a video on youtube, but it pulses randomly without much reason. If the cpu usage jumps up to like 15% it starts, even though the temps never exceed 40°C. When I am gaming, it stays ramped up until I quit the game and wait maybe a minute
m
l
February 3, 2013 10:31:22 PM

cmcghee358 said:
Buy a fanless aftermarket Heatsink. Then it doesnt matter!

Fanless wouldn't really be an option for me. I do a lot of cpu intensive stuff.
m
l
February 3, 2013 10:32:08 PM

J_E_D_70 said:

Edit: is it a stock fan or aftermarket?

Stock fan
m
l
!