Sign in with
Your question

Prebuilt cyberpower desktop-upgrade suggestions

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2012 9:50:58 AM

Hello My friend just bought a prebuilt desktop setup that he believed was decent especially for the price, but now suffers the consequences on buying a cheap desktop. I want to help him out and get some suggestions and recoomendations on addition to add to the tower to make his gaming experience better. With a $200-$400 price range for upgrades list any recommendations for it would be appreciated. So far on newegg forumns feedback people suggest a new GPU and PSU, if that is the only thing needed please list the preffered best bang for the buck kind of product. Here are the specs

Cost $529 ( yes i Know he could have built a better desktop than buying this prebuilt but he was to anxius to wait)

General Spec

BrandCyberpowerPC

ModelGamer Ultra 2098 (GU2098)

TypeGaming

ProcessorAMD FX-4100 3.6GHz

Processor Main Features64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Memory8GB DDR3 1333

Hard Drive500GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM

Optical Drive 124x DVD+/-R, +/-RW Dual Layer Drive

GraphicsAMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB

AudioSound card - Integrated

EthernetGigabit Ethernet

Power Supply500W

KeyboardXtreme Gear USB Keyboard

MouseXtreme Gear USB Mouse

Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Special FeaturesAZZA Orion Gaming Case
September 20, 2012 1:29:14 PM

The Newegg guys have got it mostly right, but that processor as well has to change.
Can you get more info on that PSU, if its decent it might not need changing, but if its generic you can throw it out on general principle.

PSU: XFX Core 550W. $66 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: FX-8120. $160

GPU: Sapphire HD7850. $200 ($10 rebate)

Total: $426 (before rebates, shipping and deals)

If he doesn't want to spend that much, drop the CPU upgrade.
September 20, 2012 1:43:53 PM

Yes the PSU I generic, everyone says it is worthless and produced by a offbrand company. Im still a bit novice to computer information, for the CPU why would the orignal not be good enough and would the one you suggested be recommended for gaming or does cpu have nothing to do with it?
Related resources
September 20, 2012 1:55:16 PM

psu are the one thing that if it goes bad it can take the rest of your system with it. not wise to go cheap here.

Go with Chalks suggestion, it makes the best out of what he has to work with ( and not totally redo the system)

make good use of those spare parts and build something for the kiddies =)
September 20, 2012 2:04:18 PM

I've done exactly this with my first PC long ago before I learned better.

The suggestions/links above are great and right on.

The big limitation with one of these cheap prebuilts is that the motherboard is going to be as cheap as possible and not support anything fancy (probably no overclocking, limited ram, very few SATA ports, etc.

Check to see if the case has good ventilation. You might need to pick up a fan or two (although if i remember right thats one of the few places they don't skimp).

If you want to save money, you can do this in tiers. The PSU and GPU are most important. You could do the processor later.
September 20, 2012 2:07:31 PM

The FX-4100 is the lowest CPU you can get in the Bulldozer series, and as many people online love to point out, AMD dropped the ball with Bulldozer and has under-performed compared to previous architectures and Intel CPU's.

The processor upgrade may not be necessary, but if he were to include a more powerful GPU than the one I recommended, there is a possibility of bottle-necking. The FX-8120 is a much better CPU (Still mediocre compared to Intel CPU's).

~~~~~~~~~
More detailed explanation about the FX-4100.
The Bulldozer architecture is geared toward multi-threaded performance, and the higher end Bulldozers can do this quite well considering their price. But in single threaded performance, the architecture has severely under-performed, sometimes even being beaten by its predecessor Phenom II.
The FX-4100 is in the un-enviable position of being optimized for multi-threaded performance, but only being a quad core (Arguably a dual core if you go by the traditional definition of "Core") it cant excel at it. With Bulldozers bad single threaded performance, it doesn't have any real use or redeeming factor. The only place you find this CPU is in cheap pre-builts like the one your friend bought. At its ~$100 price point, you are better off going back down to the Phenom II X4.
September 20, 2012 2:08:11 PM

thank you I will make sure to give them these recomendations, As for the previous gpu would it be alright to put it on another slot in his motherboard, or it will not benefit the computer any other way after he buys the new GPU or should he just try to sell it junk it? O yeah Just to clarify the gpu and PSU posted are compatible for the Mobo correct?
September 20, 2012 2:12:13 PM

Only way to make the old GPU useful would be to get another 6670 and run Crossfire, but I wouldnt recommend that. Performance would still be pretty low and chances are the included mobo wouldn't support Crossfire properly anyway. Maybe put it in an older PC for an easy upgrade.
September 20, 2012 2:48:51 PM

dragonrage said:
thank you I will make sure to give them these recomendations, As for the previous gpu would it be alright to put it on another slot in his motherboard, or it will not benefit the computer any other way after he buys the new GPU or should he just try to sell it junk it? O yeah Just to clarify the gpu and PSU posted are compatible for the Mobo correct?

Ebay / sell to friend.

Crossfire would be a bad idea, and I'm sure that motherboard can't handle more than one GPU anyhow.
!