WD Caviar Black 1TB
Seagate Baracuda XT 1TB
WD Caviar Green 1TB
WD Caviar Green 1TB
Corsair Extreme Liquid Cooling - H100
CoolerMaster Extreme 700W PSU
Asus 24X DVD RW
Corsair Carbide 500R
ASUS Wifi/Bluetooth 4.0 Combo (With mobo)
SIX Fans (5 - 140mm, 1 200mm)

Boot timings -

OC'd @ 4.6Ghz and RAM OC'd @ 2000Mhz - Startup takes 1 minute 08 seconds.
Gamer's Profile @ 3.9Ghz, RAM stock @ 1600Mhz - Startup takes 1 minute 03 seconds.

Booting from a WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm

Is that fine? Isn't one minute a little too much? I've tried removing one of the RAM kits but still the same thing.

I WILL get an SSD in October for sure. But generally - Is this fine?
6 answers Last reply
More about system startup time slow
  1. I don't understand the question. Are you OCD?
  2. I've heard windows 7 boot can vary, with your machine that seems slow to me. I've read up online with HDD's ranging from 24 seconds to 50 seconds on windows 7 with vista taking about 10 seconds longer. I will say a minute is a long time. Don't know what it could be, if it bugs you that much do a fresh install again, i usually never have that feeling. Good luck to you.
  3. Are you counting from a cold boot to desktop or from the Win splash screen to desktop. Reducing the time to POST or to the splash screen is about impossible, though there are some things you can do.

Check your boot order, you may have it set to your optical drive first.
    Poke around in the BIOS and see if if theres a setting something along the lines of "Waiting for user input". It may be sitting at the POST screen for 10s because that's how long its been told to wait.

As for Win splash screen to desktop.

Disabling unnecessary programs/services/functions that can slow down the start up.
    Disable GUI boot (Gets rid of the Windows splash screen. Have done this personally, it seems to have made it faster, but that may be because I have nothing to record time with now).
    Enable all cores while booting.

Actually, this article may help.
    http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-windows-7-optimization-guide/2/

But an SSD will be the most noticeable improvement.
  4. I start the timer just as I click the 'on' button on my cabinet. BIOS splash is set at 0 second(s). Boot order is correct and all startup programs are set as off.

This is the second time I've installed windows, still the same issue.

:(
  5. Not entirely sure then. The most I can advise is more tweaking. The above article does have some good tips.

A minute to boot from a HDD doesn't seem that strange to me. I guess just sit tight till you get your SSD.
  6. Don't turn off your system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Asus Western Digital Caviar Systems