FM1 and FM2 Sockets

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
No. Sockets don't work that way - FM1 is left for dead, all FM1 platform users will need to replace their board to get support for Trinity APUs (as well as Richland, and Kaveri is expected to come to the platform as well).

anthony8989

Distinguished

That's unfortunate. I hope someone rigs up something so I can avoid replacing my MB >.<

anthony8989

Distinguished

Well I'm no computer technician but I've examined both FM1 and FM2 CPU's, and I don't see why we couldn't just fabricate an interface that fit into an FM1 socket, with an FM2 array planted on top. It would just be an "in-between" piece like a VGA:HDMI or a Mini HDMI:HMDI.

Hi :)

Lol, if you did that, the motherboard would go POP ...AND YOU WOULD BLOW IT AND THE CPU AS A MINIMUM.... or even a fire...

All the best Brett :)

The fact of the matter is FM1 unfortunately is dead. It only lasted one generation.

I can't say why switching over to socket FM2 was necessary for Trinity. At least Richland will also be socket FM2 and I believe so will Kaveri (2014). If I am not mistaken, I think I read a published statement from AMD that they are committed to socket AM3+ and FM2 until 2015.