Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Display Driver Crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 5:46:10 AM

I have a really annoying problem with my video card. Basically, the video card drivers crash 1 to 2 times a day which totally disrupts my computer use/gaming. My brother has the exact same setup and hardware (i guess you could call it the control) except he uses a regular HDD whereas mines an SSD, that shows the rig works fine, it just seems to be mine having issues.

What happens?
1. Firstly the screen, mouse, sound locks up at regular intervals then unfreezes briefly etc etc.
2. After about 30 to 60 seconds the screen goes black.
3. The display comes back with normal function and in the bottom left a notification is displayed saying the "drivers have crashed and recovered etc".

When it happens:
Mostly noticed watching flash videos (youtube etc) or playing games

I have tried:
1. Driver versions 301.42, 304.79
2. Reformatting PC

I haven't tried clean sweeping the old drivers off, I have only uninstalled drivers using windows "uninstall a program". I don't know if that could cause driver conflict?

Any tips or advice would be great that I could try, I am really unsure what else to do.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 6:04:05 AM

Use Driver Sweeper to clean up the bits left behind when you uninstalled the old drivers. Then try installing the latest drivers again. Make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI as SSD's needs to use that setting for correct operation. You can also try clearing your CMOS. to do this, first unplug the computer, then take out the little button cell battery off the mobo, then wait a few minutes, then put it back in and try again. Also whenever you clear the CMOS, you will have to set the settings to AHCI again.

It should look something like this in your BIOS settings.

August 1, 2012 6:20:24 AM

AHCI is all set properly. I just downloaded driver sweeper, I'll give that a go now.

Thanks

UPDATE: just driver sweeped by PC but left the nvidia chipset untouched (only uninstalled display and physx, is that correct?) anyway, everything went smoothly. I guess time will tell if it's all good. I also did a custom install of the drivers and left out stuff i didnt need like HD audio and 3d vision.
Related resources
August 5, 2012 10:25:09 AM

Did driver sweeper the other day and it all went smoothly. Reinstalled driver but drivers still crash. I'm not sure what I should do.

Any tips or things to try would be great.

Also, a few months ago I used some GPU monitoring tools (i have since formatted), they wouldn't be causing any problems would they?
I also have had a pure red screen happen also once or twice.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:44:57 PM

what nVidia GPU do you have anyways.?
August 8, 2012 5:12:33 AM

verbalizer said:
what nVidia GPU do you have anyways.?

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 10:35:40 AM

list complete unit specs, nice GPU BTW..
August 8, 2012 12:38:28 PM

verbalizer said:
list complete unit specs, nice GPU BTW..

Thanks mate,

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC
CPU: i7 3770k - stock speed
RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
PSU: Antec 750w Modular
SSD: Patriot Pyro SII 120GB

If there's anything else you need please let me know

Thanks

edit: also two sata 2 HDD's and an external HDD via e-sata
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 12:52:26 PM

I'm starting to think you have a buggy card.
you stated that you reformatted the unit with a fresh install of windows 7.?
August 8, 2012 1:03:38 PM

verbalizer said:
I'm starting to think you have a buggy card.
you stated that you reformatted the unit with a fresh install of windows 7.?

fresh windows install, fresh video card drivers (latest 2 or 3 versions) still having issues
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 1:19:34 PM

are you using Virtu Lucid or do you have the IGP enabled.?
August 8, 2012 1:21:58 PM

verbalizer said:
are you using Virtu Lucid or do you have the IGP enabled.?

I tried Lucid prior to re-formatting but stopped using it since I had nothing but trouble with it.

I believe I have set IGP from auto to disabled IGP in the bios

update: just checked in bios, Integrated Graphics is indeed disabled
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 1:27:20 PM

got another graphics card for testing.?
August 8, 2012 1:32:13 PM

verbalizer said:
got another graphics card for testing.?

Sure do, got my good old trusty 8800gt, that thing has never failed me.

Does it sound like just video card problems to you? Or can other components cause the Video Card drivers to crash?
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 1:40:52 PM

we're gonna find out mate.... :) 
pop the 8800GT back in there with an older set of drivers, 296.10 is good for that.
try it out for a spell and touch back..
August 8, 2012 1:45:44 PM

verbalizer said:
we're gonna find out mate.... :) 
pop the 8800GT back in there with an older set of drivers, 296.10 is good for that.
try it out for a spell and touch back..

no worries. my current video card crashes at least once or twice a day so i'll leave the 8800gt in for a few days, maybe a week and see how it goes, if it doesn't fail then i'll certainly notice the difference.

i'll get back with the results in a week or <

thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 1:48:17 PM

good-luck, see ya soon.
a few days or a day of intense trying should do.

cheers.
August 10, 2012 11:59:01 AM

verbalizer said:
good-luck, see ya soon.
a few days or a day of intense trying should do.

cheers.

I have switched it over to the 8800GT, everything is running fine so far (touch wood) after many hours of youtube/gaming/general use

I noticed that the 8800GT fans are much louder when it is installed in this new case i got (corsair 500R) compared to my old antec 900 when i play MW3 max settings, that gave me a hunch that maybe the internal case is hotter than my old one. On that hunch I search on google and came up with a post saying that overheating could cause the drivers to reset?, although I can't see how this is happening to mine since most of the time I'm just on youtube when it happens and the GPU is presumable under little stress; compared to hours of BF3 max settings with no problems.

Also when the drivers crash it effects my onboard sound simultaneously (the whole screen and sound will freeze at the same time intermittently). I thought if it was just purely the video card crashing the sound would remain intact?

So far, it seems to be the video card at fault but I need to do a day or 2 more testing. If it is indeed the video card, that raises the question if it's a hardware fault or simply the current drivers are buggy

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 12:19:44 PM

making progress mate, bravo..
me personally I would RMA the card, should be under warranty and eligible for RMA..?
I call them Giggle-Bytes (Windforce OC) can be buggy, I sure you have seen all the postings on forums,
most GPU issues (besides HD Radeon) are Giggle problems.
August 10, 2012 12:26:33 PM

verbalizer said:
making progress mate, bravo..
me personally I would RMA the card, should be under warranty and eligible for RMA..?
I call them Giggle-Bytes (Windforce OC) can be buggy, I sure you have seen all the postings on forums,
most GPU issues (besides HD Radeon) are Giggle problems.

I believe it has 3 years warranty, I'll keep digging for solutions, maybe wait for some new drivers then resort to returning it if all else fails.

Cheers
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 12:27:23 PM

Have you tried the 305.53's yet?
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 12:29:46 PM

since you have already reformatted Windows, no need to try that again I would not think.
so let's try drivers again.
custom install and then select clean install option.

let me know..

edit:
mouse beat me to it, didn't know about the latest release, is that beta.?
August 10, 2012 12:35:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried the 305.53's yet?

I can't seem to find that version 305.53. How can I get a hold of that one?
I haven't tried 304.48 either.

I have tried 301.42 WHQL, 304.79 BETA both has issues.

August 10, 2012 12:37:27 PM

verbalizer said:
since you have already reformatted Windows, no need to try that again I would not think.
so let's try drivers again.
custom install and then select clean install option.

let me know..

edit:
mouse beat me to it, didn't know about the latest release, is that beta.?

My most latest install was using that very method with no success (304.79 version)
August 10, 2012 12:52:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Came out on Wednesday I think and yes they are betas :- http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-30553-xp-vist...
And it's working just fine for me on both the 8800GT and SLi'd 560's.

nice one monkey, I'll have to give that a go and do a clean install like verbalizer said.

It just baffles me since my brother is using driver version 301.42 with the same model card GTX 670 and has no problems, but I do have problems with it.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:04:05 PM

Have you tried swapping cards with your brother to see whether the problem follows the card or stays with your machine?
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 1:16:42 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried swapping cards with your brother to see whether the problem follows the card or stays with your machine?

great idea..
August 10, 2012 1:20:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:

I have given it a thought but since his machine is running fine I don't want to mess with it.

I might just do another format and start from the ground up, I noticed there is alot of new drivers for my mobo I haven't got aswell as the new GPU driver you mentioned, I'll do the whole works and physical PC cleanout (due anyway).

I only noticed the problem I'm having after I used GPU-Z, fur-mark and some other programs to monitor to GPU, my brother has never used these and has never had a problem either. I stopped using them because as one of the monitoring programs was running I got a pure red screen and researched it to find it is related to GPU monitoring software. Is there any way those programs could have altered the GPU? Could it retain any errors from when I had the monitoring software installed?
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 1:24:21 PM

if you reformat again...
then upon driver install just do this, it's purpose is not to install the unnecessary drivers.
(if this is how you do it already then apologies..)

with some motherboards you now have to install the LAN (network) driver from disk before it can obtain internet access.
only install this driver for now.
then proceed with install.
after Windows is installed and whatever Windows Updates finds and install then whatever is missing we will install through the Device Manager..
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:27:31 PM

Furmark is considered as a "Heat Virus" by both AMD and Nvidia as it puts an unrealistic loading on the GPU and VRM's causing them to heat up way more than they ever would under normal or even extreme gaming conditions. Is it possible that you have "broken" your card? Yes.
August 10, 2012 1:33:32 PM

verbalizer said:
if you reformat again...
then upon driver install just do this, it's purpose is not to install the unnecessary drivers.
(if this is how you do it already then apologies..)

with some motherboards you now have to install the LAN (network) driver from disk before it can obtain internet access.
only install this driver for now.
then proceed with install.
after Windows is installed and whatever Windows Updates finds and install then whatever is missing we will install through the Device Manager..

I have never tried that method. I have only ever downloaded the drivers from the Gigabyte site for my mobo

Mousemonkey said:
Furmark is considered as a "Heat Virus" by both AMD and Nvidia as it puts an unrealistic loading on the GPU and VRM's causing them to heat up way more than they ever would under normal or even extreme gaming conditions. Is it possible that you have "broken" your card? Yes.

If that's the case then that really sucks. I'll try and start fresh with new drivers and if it's still broke I'll consider getting it replaced

Best solution

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:41:29 PM

Have you tried running the card in the secondary slot at all?
August 10, 2012 1:44:21 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried running the card in the secondary slot at all?

nice suggestion monkey, i have not even tried a secondary slot yet, I try that now actually.
also havn't even tried setting the main slot to PCI-e 2.0 mode, worth trying also?

a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 1:47:18 PM

Simo606 said:
I have never tried that method. I have only ever downloaded the drivers from the Gigabyte site for my mobo

If that's the case then that really sucks. I'll try and start fresh with new drivers and if it's still broke I'll consider getting it replaced

do you download entire packages or just certain ones.?

edit:
no to PCI 2.0 mode..
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:50:10 PM

Simo606 said:
nice suggestion monkey, i have not even tried a secondary slot yet, I try that now actually.
also havn't even tried setting the main slot to PCI-e 2.0 mode, worth trying also?

Sure, why not.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:51:22 PM

verbalizer said:
do you download entire packages or just certain ones.?

edit:
no to PCI 2.0 mode..

Why? What does it do?
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 1:53:53 PM

it's a PCI 3.0 board, GPU and Ivy CPU,,, why even bother with PCI 2.0.?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2012 1:58:39 PM

verbalizer said:
it's a PCI 3.0 board, GPU and Ivy CPU,,, why even bother with PCI 2.0.?

Its something to play with and if it stops the crashing then it may also point to a mobo issue.
August 10, 2012 2:02:56 PM

ok card inserted into other slot, yet to install driver.

i might just install 301.42 and see how it goes
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 2:03:03 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Its something to play with and if it stops the crashing then it may also point to a mobo issue.

OK, I C where your going..
August 10, 2012 2:06:53 PM

drivers done. these failed before so the only variable I have changed is the PCI-e slot.

Time will tell if this makes any difference :) 
August 11, 2012 12:41:47 PM

hopefully i don't jinx myself by saying this but so far so good after putting my video card into the 8x pci-e slot. there has been no driver crashes and games still run fine.

i'll give it a couple more days then mark this is solved (until it happens again, touch wood it doesn't)

thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 1:06:59 PM

but it's running in x8/ and not x16/..
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 11, 2012 1:08:06 PM

Give it a couple of days and if there are no crashes then put it back into the primary slot and if the crashes return then it may be time to RMA the motherboard.
August 11, 2012 1:19:31 PM

verbalizer said:
but it's running in x8/ and not x16/..

i've done some research and the difference between x16 and x8 is only a few frames. yea, i'd prefer it in x16 but the advantage of things running without crashes outweighs the slight performance increase of x16. if this fails in x8 i'll just put it back in the x16 and return the video card maybe

Mousemonkey said:
Give it a couple of days and if there are no crashes then put it back into the primary slot and if the crashes return then it may be time to RMA the motherboard.

yea, i'll see how it goes. so far x8 has lasted longer than x16 has when i was having problems. this is weird because the 8800gt worked fine in the x16 slot. i'll get a torch onto it and check the x16 connection sometime.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 11, 2012 1:23:43 PM

Simo606 said:
yea, i'll see how it goes. so far x8 has lasted longer than x16 has when i was having problems. this is weird because the 8800gt worked fine in the x16 slot. i'll get a torch onto it and check the x16 connection sometime.

It would be easier if you could test the card in another rig.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 1:29:27 PM

I'd also say motherboard and not necessarily GPU..
August 11, 2012 1:31:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It would be easier if you could test the card in another rig.

I do have an older rig still built but it's a pci-e 2.0 mobo. i presume a pci-e 3.0 card would work in it? if so then that is another option i could certainly try in the future
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 11, 2012 1:38:41 PM

Simo606 said:
I do have an older rig still built but it's a pci-e 2.0 mobo. i presume a pci-e 3.0 card would work in it? if so then that is another option i could certainly try in the future

It should work just fine and if there are no crashes then I would suspect a possible faulty primary slot on that Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H board.
!