How fix ActiveX/COM problem?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Some of my applications are complaining that they can't find certain
things to do with COM.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what COM is and I am not much wiser
after using Google although I think it may be linked to ActiveX.

If I have disabled ActiveX in IE (I am told it is a security risk)
then would that affect stand-alone applications which have nothing to
do with IE?

Can I re-install COM?
1 answer Last reply
More about activex problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The error message you receive and what you're doing might help. Also check
    Event Viewer for errors.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Alex Coleman" wrote:
    | Some of my applications are complaining that they can't find certain
    | things to do with COM.
    |
    | Unfortunately, I have no idea what COM is and I am not much wiser
    | after using Google although I think it may be linked to ActiveX.
    |
    | If I have disabled ActiveX in IE (I am told it is a security risk)
    | then would that affect stand-alone applications which have nothing to
    | do with IE?
    |
    | Can I re-install COM?

Configuration Internet Explorer Activex Microsoft Windows XP