Sign in with
Your question

"off the shelf business pc"

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2012 5:44:44 PM

Need: BUSINESS DESKTOp
NOT NEEDED: MONITOR, KEYBOARD OR MOUSE
BUDGET: $400.00 - 500.00 (on the lower side if possible)
ENVIRONMENT: MEDICAL OFFICE
SOFTWARE USED: ELECTRONIC MEDICAL RECORDS (WEB ACCESS), MS OFFICE
NOT NEEDED: GAMING GRAPHICS, BLAZING SPEED CPU
KEY FEATURES NEEDED: MOTHERBOARD RELIABILITY, CPU STABILITY AND HARD DRIVE QUALITY

KEY REQUIREMENT: RELIABLE HARDDRIVE WITH LOW FAILURE RATE
WIRELESS N CARD WOULD BE USEFUL

MINIMUM STORAGE: 300 GB

I HAVE HAD INTEL AND AMD PC'S THAT HAVE RAN FOR YEARS WITHOUT TROUBLE SO I AM OPEN TO EITHER COMPANY'S CPU - WITH RELIABILITY AND STABILITY THE KEY CRITERIA.

TIME FRAME: 10 DAYS.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR INSIGHT AND ADVISE
SONNY

More about : shelf business

September 20, 2012 7:04:07 PM

Looks interesting...AMD phenom II x4 seems suitable. Thanks for your response.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 7:29:25 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 SFF - Walmart - $228

Includes:
2.0 GHz Intel Core2Duo processor (E4400 or E2180)
2 GB RAM
320 GB Hard Disk Drive
Windows 7 Professional

PNY Optima 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 RAM - $45
Get this to replace the current RAM installed (32-bit operating system).

This config should give you what you're looking for without having to build a system from scratch.

-Wolf sends

I have a computer with an Intel E2180 and I recommend against buying a computer with it. Even for basic work, the E2180 (E4400 isn't much better) can noticeably lag behind unless you have an SSD. That Phenom II x4 is between three and four times faster with all four cores counted and is around 35-50% faster per core.
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:51:19 PM

blazorthon said:
I have a computer with an Intel E2180 and I recommend against buying a computer with it. Even for basic work, the E2180 (E4400 isn't much better) can noticeably lag behind unless you have an SSD. That Phenom II x4 is between five and six times faster with all four cores counted and is around 35-50% faster per core.

the phenom seems to be a logical choice. In this case, the I3 and other intel processors are beyond the budge or need.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:02:01 PM

sonnymichigan said:
the phenom seems to be a logical choice. In this case, the I3 and other intel processors are beyond the budge or need.

EDIT: It's between three and four times faster, not five and six times faster.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:10:53 PM

sonnymichigan said:

IT HAS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) you don't want that for work...

m
l
September 20, 2012 8:12:13 PM

the great randini said:
IT HAS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) you don't want that for work...

What's wrong with it? It's an OS. The only worthwhile difference between it and the Pro version is that it can't address more than 16GiB of RAM.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:15:22 PM

the great randini said:
really, can u join it to a domain?

If OP needs to be able to do that, then OP can get the ~$40 more expensive Pro version. Either way.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i2m4

Heck, I just use free eval copies of Windows Server anyway.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:19:30 PM

so your suggestion for "off the shelf business pc" (the title of this post)
is one the op builds them self?

define "off the shelf"- Ready-made, available from merchandise or in stock, as opposed to a special order. For example, Sometimes you can get a better discount by buying an appliance off the shelf.

m
l
September 20, 2012 8:24:45 PM

the great randini said:

define "off the shelf"- Ready-made, available from merchandise or in stock, as opposed to a special order. For example, Sometimes you can get a better discount by buying an appliance off the shelf.

There are dozens of companies that build custom builds with your choice of parts. Try finding a better non-custom deal with high-quality parts that doesn't sacrifice even this lower-end level of performance. Maybe you'll find one, maybe not.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:28:30 PM

ya its a great build i love the ram u chose, oh wait you didn't pick ram. ah you dont need ram anyway
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:30:10 PM

the great randini said:
ya its a great build i love the ram u chose, oh wait you didn't pick ram. ah you dont need ram anyway

There is a RAM kit in my builds... Love how you're trying to be an ass over stupid things. You ran out of minor things to argue, so now you're making crap up. Real nice of you. There is a 1.5V 2x2GiB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 kit in each of my links. A F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS model, to be more specific.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:32:27 PM

i am talking about the part pick list above bright eyes
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:38:28 PM

the great randini said:
i am talking about the part pick list above bright eyes

Ahh.. Sorry.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:00:07 AM

the great randini said:

Yes friends, I am refering to what vendor would currently have the best rig for this budget...500 bucks tops...I welcome all links...as i need to order it soon. Thanks again
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:58:45 PM

i would go with lenovo for that budget see the 3 links above
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:43:30 PM

Thank You ...I will do that
m
l
!