Could REALLY use feedback on this display question, thanks

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hello I plan to get a 3D monitor for 2 reasons, first all around better performance and 3d if I choose to go in the future. My question is which connector is better, to have in your monitor if you can only have 1. HDMI 1.4 or is “display-port” better. I pretty much came down to these 2 models after what seems like 2 life times:

BenQ XL2420T/ BenQ XL2420TX (come with display port 1.2). The main complaint I’ve read about the benq is limited viewing angel and bad customer support. Seems like an epidemic w/things made in Taiwan, had same issue w/my Enermax PSU.
And
Asus VG236HE (is it does not come with the Nvidia 3d vision v1 like the “H” model does), I know for fact the Asus comes w/HDMI 1.4 but has a glossy screen which I heard a lot of people complain about, if not for that I’d probably go with the asus but it’s REALLY close.

Thanks,
Sebastian

P.S. I don’t want built in speakers because that’s just money you’re wasting on BS rather than monitor quality, so other then the video component HDMI will be "half used"

Too bad there's no specific display section

Solution
I have a BenQ 3D monitor (i forget which one) and it's fine. Colors are vivid and I haven't have any problems so far (I've had it for around 2-3 years already). I have the 1st 3D Vision Kit (They now have the 3D Vision Kit 2 where glasses are much better).

Connectors = doesn't matters (Don't they support both?). Videocards, as it stands, will have a primary display adapter (and some/most now have HDMI outlet as well).

That said, you probably know that already, but playing games in 3D is awesome but reduces your framerate by almost half (with very few exeptions...CryEngine being of them). So you'll need a pretty powerful rig to support 3D gaming.

Ironically, it's the indie games and the less popular games that I have more fun playing...

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I personally love glossy screens. Go to a store and look at what they've got for monitors, and see how you feel personally on glossy screens.

As far as Dispay port VS HDMI, they are pretty close to being the same, with no real benefit of one over the other. I would base it upon which one your computer supports.

HDMI cables are usually a lot easier to come by, and cheaper for the most part. So that's something to consider as well.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I have a BenQ 3D monitor (i forget which one) and it's fine. Colors are vivid and I haven't have any problems so far (I've had it for around 2-3 years already). I have the 1st 3D Vision Kit (They now have the 3D Vision Kit 2 where glasses are much better).

Connectors = doesn't matters (Don't they support both?). Videocards, as it stands, will have a primary display adapter (and some/most now have HDMI outlet as well).

That said, you probably know that already, but playing games in 3D is awesome but reduces your framerate by almost half (with very few exeptions...CryEngine being of them). So you'll need a pretty powerful rig to support 3D gaming.

Ironically, it's the indie games and the less popular games that I have more fun playing in 3D....although playing a Call of Duty campaign in 3D is pretty EPIC.

Let me know if you have other questions about 3D.

Solution