Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Powering a GTX 660 with a 400 watt

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2013 9:58:34 PM

Hey everyone,, need some expert opinions.

Currently have this:
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Powering an i7-2600 (Non K)
16gb ram (1333)
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
optical drive
amd 6850

Wanting to put in a GTX 660 (non ti.) My concern is with the psu.... can it handle it? I know its a quality psu that is conservatively specced. I think seasonic actually made this model. I use my computer for gaming and as a movie/music server that I leave on all the time. I don't want random shut downs and possible data corruption to my data library. Thank you.
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 10:44:42 PM

I did a quick search for the kind of current that goes with nvidia's PSU wattage recommendation and found this list that has the current requirement at 24 amps. (Your PSU has 30 amps on the 12v rail)

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requi...

If this information is accurate, your PSU can probably handle the card just fine.

-Not sure how much I trust the list though.

With a good brand PSU such as this one, I would probably do it if it were my own equipment. I'm less apt to advise others to take risks with their equipment, when I have no direct experience with the suggested risk.

Maybe someone with experience pushing this PSU near/past it's "official" limits will chime in.
Score

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 10:44:43 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W (PPCMK3S400), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card.

Your total system draw from the +12V rail should be less than 20 Amps during gaming if you're using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card with your specific system configuration.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 10:46:35 PM

i wouldnt risk it, will run but issues might arise.

got a budget for a new ps?

Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 11:17:02 PM

iceclock said:
will run but issues might arise.

It's a system that will max out at around 60% of a 400 watt psu's capacity and a pretty good quality psu
What issues might arise ?
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 11:18:47 PM

u never know, again im not having this conversation about u and ur damn killowatt.

i got with nvidia specifications not killa-watt accuracy specs.

Score
February 3, 2013 11:58:18 PM

Best answer selected by wwusa83.
Score
!