OC i5-3750k Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Hi all,

Well, my i5-2500k decided to fail on me after a year and a half of use. I'm not having a lot of luck with parts lately (my Asus P8P67 Pro MoBo failed in Dec). I got the i5-3570k as a replacement as I need my comp running and couldn't wait for Intel's response for RMA. The i5-3570k was on sale and ended up being more cheaper than the i5-2500k, hence my decision to get it.

I know with SB to keep vcore around 1.2v and temps below 65-70'c. I am assuming this is the same for IB?

I also notice that this chip I have will not clock down to 1600 MHz when idle. I already reset CMOS and left everything stock, but it will still be stuck at turbo speeds. Any idea of what might be causing this as I didn't have this issue with the i5-2500k.

TIA.

Solution

Ivy is hotter because the IHS(cover directly above the CPU die that transfers heat) is not soldered on like Sandy, it used a type of thermal paste to conduct the heat. Intel did this to conserve costs.

You may want to get your RAM to 1.5v as that is safest on Ivy, as they are quite sensitive to...

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Not yet.

I plan to OC this to around 4.2GHz and hopefully still have the vcore well below 1.2v. I know IB runs hotter than SB and don't want to push it too hard. I'm just trying to figure out if IB's happy medium is to keep its vcore around 1.2v and temps below 65-70'c (same as SB) as a baseline.

I figured out why my IB chip wasn't down clocking. Forgot to set the min processor state to 5% under performance power management.

ivy Bridge is very different form Sandy in more than just heat. For one, Ivy Bridge does not like voltage as much.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

There is a guide. You should be able to get 4.2-4.4GHz on stock 1.2v.

As for temps, during stress-testing its normal for a 3570K to hit 92C, keep it under 100C in Intel Burn test and you are safe. Absolute max before dmg is done to the chip is 103C, but at that temp the chip will shut itself down automatically anyway.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Yeah, i5-2500k memory controller failed. Thought it was RAM or the SSD, but turned out to be the CPU. Got a lot of read/write access denied errors as well as memory faults.

Just testing my OC on the i5-3750k with vcore set at offset -0.005v @ 42x 100 BCLK. P95 Blend at 1 hour and temps for 1 core maxed at 74'C. Vcore peaked at 1.128v. No errors yet, so it looks good. Will be using IBT soon afterwards.

Seems a little hot, what cooler are you using.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I am using a Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.B. My SB chip at 43x was going for 65'C max. IB at 42x is going for 74'C max. I guess they weren't kidding around when they say these chips run hotter. I'll probably tune it down to 40x to keep temps low.

The RAM is rated at 1.6v, but I undervolted to 1.55v and tested for greater than 24 hours Memtest86+ with no errors on my previous OC with SB. Timings 7-8-7-24 2T @ 1600MHz.

Edit: 2x4 GB RAM sticks

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
if you havent checked it out, you should read some ivybridge delidding threads. theyre pretty awesome if you are into that sort of thing.

even if you never work up the courage to do it to your own (its risky) it is still neat to know what sort of performance you could have.

Ivy is hotter because the IHS(cover directly above the CPU die that transfers heat) is not soldered on like Sandy, it used a type of thermal paste to conduct the heat. Intel did this to conserve costs.

You may want to get your RAM to 1.5v as that is safest on Ivy, as they are quite sensitive to higher voltage RAM. 1.5v is suggested for Ivy and in many cases the chips lose lifespan when used with higher voltage RAM.

Solution

That was revised. they are soldered now like sandy

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
^this

ram volted higher than 1.5v is the number one killer of sandys and ivys.

considering you already killed a sandy memory controller, you might want to think about using different ram.

edit: new ivys are soldered like sandys? so, are you saying a new ivy runs cooler than an older one?

It was when they did the revisions... also i get my 3770K no later than tuesday so i could check and see but pretty sure they switched out from thermal compound to soldered. and even if they still use compound... its not as hot as the originals. the originals were dangerous

Not good enough, source???

You can't just say stuff like that! :pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.