Windows+E doesn't openExplorer

While visiting my brother last weekend I noticed that Windows+E
didn't open File Explorer on his XP SP2 system -- it does nothing at
all. Windows+F, Windows+D, Windows+Break, and Windows+F1 all work
normally. (I couldn't remember any other combinations.)

Any idea what might make Windows+E not work? The Help file gave no
clue, and I spent a while Googling (the Web and the newsgroups)
without success.

He's got a "Windows Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard, model 1011"
keyboard. I opened its configuration software. That gives the
ability of enabling or disabling the Windows key, but not of
changing any combinations. I tried disabling the Windows key and
closing the program, then re-enabling the key and closing the
program. The disable worked, but when the key was re-enabled
Windows+E still did nothing.

I don't think this is malware. He runs Grisoft AVG in background and
Counterspy plus another one frequently.

Any suggestions for me to pass to him? For right now he's dedicated
one of the programmable keys on the keyboard to open Explorer, but
it would be nice to make Windows+E work as documented.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Basilla

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I had the same problem and just now stumpled on the answer. Click "Start" then right click "My Computer" and select "Open". Close the window then try your Windows+E. It just fixed my problem.