Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade help

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 1, 2012 9:27:04 AM

Hi guys. My current system is:

AMD FX 4100
RADEON HD 6570 1 GB 6570
8 GB 1333 RAM

The graphics card is probably the major bottleneck here and I was planning to upgrade and had either the 6670 or 6770 in mind. I only run games at max 1440x900 resolution so I was wondering whether anybody could give me some advice?

More about : upgrade

August 1, 2012 9:29:08 AM

BTW I have a 450W PSU.
a c 123 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 9:47:24 AM

a 6670 is the same as you have ( more or less ) and the other card isn't worth the money for the truly LACK of upgrade. Save your money.
Related resources
August 1, 2012 8:39:39 PM

swifty_morgan said:
a 6670 is the same as you have ( more or less ) and the other card isn't worth the money for the truly LACK of upgrade. Save your money.


Which card would you recommend on a slightly bigger budget?

I have to keep in mind the wattage and everything.
a c 123 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 12:45:03 AM

what's giving you a hard time now ?

how much amperage on the power supply ? ( see label attached to same )

how much can you invest.......... in reality.
August 3, 2012 10:44:32 AM

swifty_morgan said:
what's giving you a hard time now ?

how much amperage on the power supply ? ( see label attached to same )

how much can you invest.......... in reality.


Erm it's a "WINPOWER 450W PSU"

It says +12V 20 AMPS MAX
and -12V 0.8 AMPS MAX

And I have a GA-M68MT-S2 motherboard (www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#ov)

I really don't want to spend over £100. £120 absolute max I guess.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 11:58:24 AM

Since you mentioned 6670 and 6770. My advice is to get the 6770. Swifty morgan is right that a 6670 is almost the same as the gpu you have right now. The thing is.. Your power supply might be a problem. The AMD site says that 450W is the absolute minimum, I would not get too close to that minimum.

- Fastreaction
August 3, 2012 5:59:35 PM

fastreaction said:
Since you mentioned 6670 and 6770. My advice is to get the 6770. Swifty morgan is right that a 6670 is almost the same as the gpu you have right now. The thing is.. Your power supply might be a problem. The AMD site says that 450W is the absolute minimum, I would not get too close to that minimum.

- Fastreaction


I have read a couple of guy's opinions that even a 400W PSU is fine but better safe than sorry I suppose. So there would be no configuration problems aside from maybe the power supply?

I was wondering whether the motherboard could support a 6770? The bios is updated and everything.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 7:05:50 PM

True it should be fine. But i'd like the safe side :p . The motherboard shouldn't be a problem, just be sure the card fits in your case :) .

- Fastreaction
August 3, 2012 7:34:29 PM

fastreaction said:
True it should be fine. But i'd like the safe side :p . The motherboard shouldn't be a problem, just be sure the card fits in your case :) .

- Fastreaction


Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
a c 123 U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 8:20:37 PM

I ran a gtx260 off a 15amp PS a while back without any problems. I still don't like the idea of "upgrading" to such a low end card. even the 6770. and I think the card might get all it's power from the PCI-e slot, no ?
!