Sign in with
Your question

D-Sub and HDMI connection for the graphics card and the display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 9:59:09 AM

Hey there,

I have an issue with my new LG E2251 monitor. It has HDMI and D-Sub connection ports, while my GTX 570 graphics card has HDMI and DVI-D connections. My 4-year-old monitor had a DVI-D connection so I was surprised not to find one in the monitor. For now, I connected the monitor with the D-Sub connection using a D-Sub-to-DVI-D adapter to connect it to the graphics card, and the image quality seems good enough (1920x1050 resolution).

Question is, will I get better quality and reliability if I just use a HDMI cable? I don't care about the fact that the HDMI can also carry sound signals, just the image/video quality. The user's guide of the monitor says I could possibly encounter "compatibility issues" while using the HDMI connection. I'm not sure.

Also, does anyone know why a brand-new monitor would not carry a DVI-D connection while an older one does? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 10:13:03 AM

There is not much of a difference honestly. HDMI is more for HDTV's than monitors in my opinion.
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2012 10:38:53 AM

The reason your new monitor doesn't have a DVI connection is because it's an LG. LG is Korean for "cheap crap", should've bought a Samsung instead.

Anyway, at 1920x1080 you might notice a very slight quality improvement when using HDMI rather than Analog. Analog quality tends to fall off sharply at resolutions above 2048x1536 but shouldn't be much different at 1920x1080

EDIT: I'm guessing that your Analog to DVI-D converter is active? Are you sure you're not using DVI-I and simply passing the analog signal through?
Related resources
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 196 C Monitor
August 1, 2012 5:04:49 PM

Generally speaking there should be little difference between D-Sub and HDMI, but I would go with HDMI since it is digital. Some people experience scaling issues using HDMI, this can usually corrected in the nVidia / AMD control panel under "Scaling".

August 1, 2012 11:00:55 PM

Thanks for the responses.

To clarify, I'm using the D-Sub cable to connect the monitor but I had to attach a D-Sub-to-DVI connector to it because the graphics card does not have a D-Sub output. So I guess it's doing the digital-to-analog conversion. The picture quality is good, but if it can be better with HDMI, I'll switch to the HDMI connection. I guess the "compatibility issues" reported by the manual have to do with the scaling.

LG may be "cheap crap" as you say, but for now I'm satisfied with its quality and performance. Although it's true that it does not have a DVI input, which I was expecting.
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:27:25 AM

Athawolfus said:
Thanks for the responses.

To clarify, I'm using the D-Sub cable to connect the monitor but I had to attach a D-Sub-to-DVI connector to it because the graphics card does not have a D-Sub output. So I guess it's doing the digital-to-analog conversion. The picture quality is good, but if it can be better with HDMI, I'll switch to the HDMI connection. I guess the "compatibility issues" reported by the manual have to do with the scaling.

LG may be "cheap crap" as you say, but for now I'm satisfied with its quality and performance. Although it's true that it does not have a DVI input, which I was expecting.

It's not doing D-to-A conversion, DVI-I and DVI-A actually have the pins necessary to output a pure analogue signal, the same as D-Sub. DVI-I carries both DVI-D and DVI-A. The wiki article has visualizations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#C...

Most graphics cards have DVI-I, it's very rare to see a DVI-D or DVI-A output; it is more common to see it as an input on a display
!