Closed Solved

Bought PSU from US - living in a country that uses 240v wall socket

Hi.

So I live in the Middle-East and we use 240v/50Hz wall socket as opposed to 120v/60Hz or however much the US uses.

I bought a PSU from Amazon.com which I imagine would ship with an "American-style" plug which would probably not fit on our wall sockets.

I was wondering could I use a step-up transformer to fix this problem or would this harm the PSU?

I'd probably try it with just the PSU plugged in without plugging the PSU into anything to reduce "hardware casualties" if a fault were to happen.

We have to use transformers to play Xbox here because the plugs don't fit into our sockets.

So what do you guys think? Will a transformer work with a PSU or how can this dilemma be solved?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bought living country 240v wall socket
  1. Shizuki said:
    Hi.

So I live in the Middle-East and we use 240v/50Hz wall socket as opposed to 120v/60Hz or however much the US uses.

I bought a PSU from Amazon.com which I imagine would ship with an "American-style" plug which would probably not fit on our wall sockets.

I was wondering could I use a step-up transformer to fix this problem or would this harm the PSU?

I'd probably try it with just the PSU plugged in without plugging the PSU into anything to reduce "hardware casualties" if a fault were to happen.

We have to use transformers to play Xbox here because the plugs don't fit into our sockets.

So what do you guys think? Will a transformer work with a PSU or how can this dilemma be solved?

Hi - what's the make & model PSU? Many of the modern PSU's automatically detect the
    wall socket voltage & all you would need is an adapter plug or pick up a psu power cord
    locally where you live.

Tom
  2. If it's the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W from your other post, that PSU has a 90-264 VAC input. You only need the appropriate AC power cord for your location. The PSU will automatically detect the input voltage and set itself accordingly.
  3. Shizuki said:

Hi - that Seasonic model does automatically detect the voltage, and
    is capable of all input voltages from 90 - 264v, you
    just need to get an adapter pug or a power cord locally
    where you live
  4. Best answer
    Shizuki said:

Seasonic specifically states:

Universal AC Input [Full Range] - Plug and run safely anywhere in the world

AC Input Range: Full Range: 100 ~ 240V (Max. 90 ~ 264V), 8-4A, 50/60Hz

You should be able to purchase an AC power cord, locally, that will work.
  5. Thank you
  6. Best answer selected by Shizuki.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Socket Components