Bought PSU from US - living in a country that uses 240v wall socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuki

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hi.

So I live in the Middle-East and we use 240v/50Hz wall socket as opposed to 120v/60Hz or however much the US uses.

I bought a PSU from Amazon.com which I imagine would ship with an "American-style" plug which would probably not fit on our wall sockets.

I was wondering could I use a step-up transformer to fix this problem or would this harm the PSU?

I'd probably try it with just the PSU plugged in without plugging the PSU into anything to reduce "hardware casualties" if a fault were to happen.

We have to use transformers to play Xbox here because the plugs don't fit into our sockets.

So what do you guys think? Will a transformer work with a PSU or how can this dilemma be solved?

Solution

Seasonic specifically states:

Universal AC Input [Full Range] - Plug and run safely anywhere in the world

AC Input Range: Full Range: 100 ~ 240V (Max. 90 ~ 264V), 8-4A, 50/60Hz

You should be able to purchase an AC power cord, locally, that will work.

Hi - what's the make & model PSU? Many of the modern PSU's automatically detect the
wall socket voltage & all you would need is an adapter plug or pick up a psu power cord
locally where you live.

Tom

If it's the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W from your other post, that PSU has a 90-264 VAC input. You only need the appropriate AC power cord for your location. The PSU will automatically detect the input voltage and set itself accordingly.

Hi - that Seasonic model does automatically detect the voltage, and
is capable of all input voltages from 90 - 264v, you
just need to get an adapter pug or a power cord locally
where you live

Seasonic specifically states:

Universal AC Input [Full Range] - Plug and run safely anywhere in the world

AC Input Range: Full Range: 100 ~ 240V (Max. 90 ~ 264V), 8-4A, 50/60Hz

You should be able to purchase an AC power cord, locally, that will work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.