What's wrong with my PC?

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I have a Dell Studio 540 that I purchased by in 2009, recently it has been having problems waking up from sleep mode. When it is put to sleep, and left that way for maybe 2-3 hours, when you wake it up, the fans start and the light stops blinking as if it is starting up, but the screen never turns on. I am forced to turn it off with the power button and then start it up again. Because of this, we cannot put it into sleep mode because they we have to "wake it up", shut it off, and turn it on again. Now, I thought it might be the GPU, so I swapped it out for another, and I still have the same issue. So I put the original GPU in there and now I'm stuck. I don't know where to go from here and I'd really appreciate some input, thanks!

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012

I read somewhere that it could be the CMOS battery, could that be a possibility as well?

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012

That's what I read, but I am not sure about that which is why I ask.

Alright, I'll check those first two options and check back with the results.

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Okay, I checked for a BIOS update, and I have the newest version. I checked for other general updates through windows update, and there was a display driver update. I shut it down, turned it on, put it in sleep mode, waited two hours, tried to turn on and it did the same thing. But I noticed something I hadn't before. Upon waking up from sleep mode, the mouse and keyboard do not turn on. No lights turn on at all, so they are unresponsive. What else could be causing this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
sounds like a power saving conflict with one of the devices. It’s quite common this problem, just need to find out which device is not responding properly and leave it powered.

First, try the network adapter

In device manager, double click Network adapters.
Double click the listed network adapter.
Select the Power Management tab.
Un-Check – Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Can also troubleshoot in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options: On your preferred plan option, click on Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced power settings.

Here you can pick and choose what to do with each component. Network adapters aren’t included here so please try power saving options in device manager/network adapters first

Lastly can try change to another power saving option in the bios. I believe the default setting is S3, try another setting.

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Well, just an update, but I replaced the CMOS battery. After a couple days of having no issue, even after leaving the PC in sleep mode for hours, it didn't wake up to a black screen and no USB functionality, until just now. It did it again. I don't know what else to do.