I Need A Beastly Workstation

I'm looking to build/upgrade my machine into the most beastly workstation that I possibly can. I'm want this to be my last real build for a while, so I'd like to get at least 2 years out of this. I plan on using it for programming/compiling/working with Linux modules and drivers, Boinc/Folding, some photoshop/GIMP, some minor 3d, media server, gaming, and game modding. I only run Linux. I don't plan to overclock. If I do end up overclocking, I want it to be a mild one. I don't want to deal with liquid cooling. That is partly because stability is a concern. Overkill is a good thing because I'd like this thing to stay current for a while. I'm open to AMD, Xeons, i7, whatever. I'd like to keep any upgrades between $1000 and $1500. Any suggestions? This is my system as it sits:

CPU - Xeon 1240 v2
Motherboard - Asus P8B-WS
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7970
RAM - Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 4GBx4
Boot Drive - Crucial M4 64GB
Other HDD - 2.75TB
PSU - Ultra X3 1600w
Case - Mountain Mods Extended Ascension
5 answers Last reply
More about beastly workstation
  1. DO NOT buy an Ultra PSU.It WILL blow up on you with those powerful parts. Get a gold or platinum 850w -1200w psu. Seasonic / Corsair/ XFX / FSP and I dare day even OCZ are better than ultra.
  2. definitely needs a quality PSU. it may not necessarily blow up, possible as it is, but it may very well simply die suddenly, or fried the other hardware.

not really all that knowledgeable with xeon based workstations, but a run through on http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine puts your power use at 720W, and that's with a high end motherboard and two Xeons 1240's. OCed and it gave me 833W.i highly doubt you need 1600W unless you're going to power something else i'm not aware of other than the PC itself.
  3. I already have the Ultra PSU. It's been running strong for a while now with no issue. I know they're kind of an off brand, but I got it for a steal on Tigerdirect, so I don't really care. All of those parts are what I have. I've been doing some work towards the conversion to a WS with improvements like the case and the GPU(I definitely only need the one). My main weak point is the CPU. I'm just not sure what is best.
  4. Best would be the 6core xeon and they're not cheap
  5. Which 6 core Xeon? What about Opterons? Would 6234 x2 be good?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Workstations Systems