Sign in with
Your question

New rig and new problems, is this psu powerful enough?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 4, 2013 1:13:37 AM

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video card: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

I'm having some difficulties with my new rig, the computer is labored by opening and loading webpages let alone it's intended purpose, gaming. I know this isn't the proper forum for my problems but I'm here asking whether this PSU can supply the power needed for this rig. I also bought the CPU with the intent at overclocking and it's unstable at any setting no matter how mild (intent is 3.6 *maybe* 3.8GHz).

More about : rig problems psu powerful

a c 162 ) Power supply
February 4, 2013 1:18:33 AM

That PSU should be more than sufficient for your system. Your problems appear to be elsewhere related. Is this something that gradually became a problem, or has it always been an issue?
Do you have a virus/malware program running to protect your system? If so, run a FULL virus scan. (And keep it updated)
m
l
February 4, 2013 2:22:08 AM

This rig is only a month old and things have degenerated slowly. Even after installing Windows 8 onto this pure hdd I've had problems, for example, the mouse acting unreasonably erratic.

Initially I found that cool n quiet and c1e being on were the culprits to this problem but it persists but only with similar events like scrolling my mouse over a lot of information/flash webpage buttons/???. It can be reproduced by opening all the days in IE history folder, all days open, and rolling the mouse over these.

I'm almost positive my first tweak in bios, which was manually setting all the RAM timings, was before the pure install or the very next reboot after that install. I didn't just change it to 9-9-9-24, I went onto changing every numerical value that was unlocked when I set the timing input from auto to manual. The fill-in values used were from the spd side of the spd/auto column. I'm almost positive I started overclocking my cpu and cpu-nb with these RAM values.

Any information could be useful so:
- I've noticed that hwmonitor doesn't save the previous lows and highs of multiple start ups that it used to.
- Sometimes while I'm reading a webpage the window will deselect, I can tell because of the border color changing from darker to lighter.
- I'm running Windows 8 but geared for keyboard/mouse, no touching.
- my psu fan is never on, it's supposed to be a v.2 of this psu line and has a thermal function that only kicks the fan on under heavy loads but I've never heard it kick on or seen it while I've played Chivalry except at start up which is supposed to let you know that the psu hasn't gone bad (so I hear).
- More but can't recollect.
m
l
Related resources
a c 308 ) Power supply
February 4, 2013 10:28:51 PM

Vulpes vulpes said:
This rig is only a month old and things have degenerated slowly. Even after installing Windows 8 onto this pure hdd I've had problems, for example, the mouse acting unreasonably erratic.

Initially I found that cool n quiet and c1e being on were the culprits to this problem but it persists but only with similar events like scrolling my mouse over a lot of information/flash webpage buttons/???. It can be reproduced by opening all the days in IE history folder, all days open, and rolling the mouse over these.

I'm almost positive my first tweak in bios, which was manually setting all the RAM timings, was before the pure install or the very next reboot after that install. I didn't just change it to 9-9-9-24, I went onto changing every numerical value that was unlocked when I set the timing input from auto to manual. The fill-in values used were from the spd side of the spd/auto column. I'm almost positive I started overclocking my cpu and cpu-nb with these RAM values.

Any information could be useful so:
- I've noticed that hwmonitor doesn't save the previous lows and highs of multiple start ups that it used to.
- Sometimes while I'm reading a webpage the window will deselect, I can tell because of the border color changing from darker to lighter.
- I'm running Windows 8 but geared for keyboard/mouse, no touching.
- my psu fan is never on, it's supposed to be a v.2 of this psu line and has a thermal function that only kicks the fan on under heavy loads but I've never heard it kick on or seen it while I've played Chivalry except at start up which is supposed to let you know that the psu hasn't gone bad (so I hear).
- More but can't recollect.

agree with clutch - the prob doesn't seem to be psu related. Unless that is a
defective psu it has more power than you need for that sys.

m
l
February 7, 2013 10:41:52 PM

I just wanted to let the contributers of this thread to know that the problem stemmed from setting those RAM timings after 9-9-9-24 then installing windows 8. Windows 8 offers a new option called refresh which didn't clear up the problem, the entire drive had to be wiped and reformatted and reinstalled windows 8. Thank you to those who helped me here.
m
l
a c 308 ) Power supply
February 7, 2013 11:03:47 PM

Vulpes vulpes said:
I just wanted to let the contributers of this thread to know that the problem stemmed from setting those RAM timings after 9-9-9-24 then installing windows 8. Windows 8 offers a new option called refresh which didn't clear up the problem, the entire drive had to be wiped and reformatted and reinstalled windows 8. Thank you to those who helped me here.

Hey - thanx for letting us know. Every bit of info gained
on here is worthwhile.

Tom
m
l
!