Sign in with
Your question

What GPU for Catleap Q270 2560x1440

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 12:57:49 PM

Hello all,
I recently purchased a YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE 27" LED 2560X1440 monitor. I have been using the built in GPU on my motherboard/CPU with my old 19", but with the new monitor, I need to purchase a dual DVI card capable of outputting to a resolution of 2560x1440 (wish it was 4:3, but they just don't make those monitors anymore).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week (by 8/3/2012)

BUDGET RANGE: upto $200USD / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching movies, light gaming (i.e. Minesweeper, Tower Defense).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GPU: 12600K Integrated GPU PS: XFX 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
  • CPU Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
  • CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM
  • Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
  • Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
  • Storage Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • Case Silverstone FT02B ATX Mid Tower
  • Power Supply XFX 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: N/A

PARTS PREFERENCES: N/A

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - what benefit would I gain from OCing my GPU if not playing games?

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2560x1440

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just need something that can work well with my new monitor. Not gaming, so I'd like to save money on the video card please.
    a b U Graphics card
    a b C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 1:23:17 PM

7750 should be able to do all that if you arent gaming for around $100.
    m
    l
    a c 1363 U Graphics card
    a c 100 C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 1:26:23 PM

More performance under $200 GTX560 or HD6870.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    August 1, 2012 1:29:33 PM

Thank you gentlemen. Do I need a 1GB or 2GB card please?
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 1:35:24 PM

YOu dont need 2GB unless you plan on heavy gaming on more than 1 monitor. But if you can afford it, it will be a "nice to have"
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    August 1, 2012 1:47:28 PM

if you are gaming you can go for hd 6770 /hd 7750 crossfire
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    August 1, 2012 1:56:53 PM

rolli59 said:
    2GB allows visual effects like AA but in that performance range the cards are probably running out of GPU power before ram. HD7850 is the cheapest 2GB card I would buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

more vram doesnt allow more aa
    a bigger bus width and more bandwidth does
    more vram allows one to load more textures and thus play at higher details and resolution
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 2:08:50 PM

don't think he really needs AA for minesweeper...

the built in GPU on the 2600K (Intel HD3000) should be fine for what you need it for.
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 2:10:34 PM

also why have you got an 850W psu in that setup. Its a bit overkill.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    a b C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 2:11:29 PM

It isnt a case of whether it can do what he wants it to do, I believe it is a limitation of the motherboard not having a Dual Link DVI port on it for the integrated graphics, altho I could be wrong as I havent looked up his mobo.
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 2:17:38 PM

its got a DVI-D port on it.
    m
    l
    a c 1363 U Graphics card
    a c 100 C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 2:19:40 PM

panwala95 said:
    more vram doesnt allow more aa
    a bigger bus width and more bandwidth does
    more vram allows one to load more textures and thus play at higher details and resolution

AA makes the textures larger!!
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 2:42:57 PM

Just did a quick google both the motherboard and monitor should work together. Both support DVI-D. So this leaves me to believe its user error. Have you tried using the supplied DVI cable??

also Rolli59...you fail. AA is used for smoothing texture edges..not making them larger.
    m
    l
    a c 1363 U Graphics card
    a c 100 C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 2:52:42 PM

captainblacko said:
    Just did a quick google both the motherboard and monitor should work together. Both support DVI-D. So this leaves me to believe its user error. Have you tried using the supplied DVI cable??

also Rolli59...you fail. AA is used for smoothing texture edges..not making them larger.

It will make them larger by smoothing them, otherwise it would not drop the performance!
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 3:14:48 PM

AA is just a filter to smooth images. I advise you to read up on it.

you would never stretch a texture for example 100x100 to say 140x300 you would loose quality. If in your theory AA is meant to resolve that it would create a blurry image.

Look back at old games. Can you remember seeing square textures on landscapes? each square was for example a 100X100 image. When AA came along it removed the line in the middle of each texture....thus giving you the impression that it was one big texture.
    m
    l
    August 1, 2012 3:36:24 PM

captainblacko said:
    also why have you got an 850W psu in that setup. Its a bit overkill.

I have 6 spinning media hard drives in the chasis as well. I had originally thought I might take up gaming and would need a powerful card (or set of cards), but that never materialized.

captainblacko said:

I have not attempted that yet. I was under the impression that I had to have a Dual DVI Link card for the monitor to function properly. I did not expect to be able to use my single DVI out. I'll give that a shot tonight when I get home.
    m
    l
    a c 1363 U Graphics card
    a c 100 C Monitor
    August 1, 2012 3:57:01 PM

captainblacko said:
    AA is just a filter to smooth images. I advise you to read up on it.

you would never stretch a texture for example 100x100 to say 140x300 you would loose quality. If in your theory AA is meant to resolve that it would create a blurry image.

Look back at old games. Can you remember seeing square textures on landscapes? each square was for example a 100X100 image. When AA came along it removed the line in the middle of each texture....thus giving you the impression that it was one big texture.

You are correct but what I am really meaning applying AA increases the information that needs to be stored in Vram at the same resolution. Which gives the 2GB card here advantage over the 1GB card at highest resolution with 4xAA turned on http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-...
    m
    l
    August 3, 2012 12:56:01 AM

captainblacko said:

So I tried the included cable, and my built in GPU/Mobo. No go; the monitor just sits there blinking. Guess I'll pick up a cheap-o card.

Thank you all for the help. :) 
    m
    l
    !