Sign in with
Your question

4 displays (cad workstation)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 2:10:34 PM

Hello,
looking for the best "bang for buck" in setting up a cad station that needs 4 screens hooked up.

Debating between going with a quadro nvs 450 + active DP to DVI cables vs anything you guys might suggest.
As the budget for this build is rather tight. (450+ the dongles is quite expensive), are there any reccomendations you guys/girls can offer up?
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 3:55:59 PM

things to take into consideration:

Option1:
the NVS450 has 4 cores and only requires a 350W PSU and no PCIe power connectors but only has 512MB of DDR3 memory (256MB per GPU)

Option2:
if you would use two desktop video cards like a GTX 560 with 2GB of DDR5 ram ($200 each) in SLI mode, you will need a good PSU with 4 PCIe power connectors which might cost an additional $100+, you only run two cores but are clocked faster, uses faster memory and higher 256-BIT rate.

if you have a good PSU and two 16x PCIe slots, I might would consider the second option. it hard to find info on how well professional softwares run on desktop GPUs
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:12:39 PM

Might be worth looking into FirePro cards that support EyeFinity.
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:52:09 PM

the problem with the firepro cards is the need to buy all the active dongles for the screens, as the ones he has lack displayport. i offered a build featuring the v7900 which supports the four, but i hvae to tack on the 120 bucks just for the dongles
m
l
!