Volume Control

I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
Can you turn one sound control "off"?
TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about volume control

    BP wrote:
    > I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
    > motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
    > How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
    > recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
    > Can you turn one sound control "off"?
    > TIA

    To turn off, or at least remove from systray, the WinXP sound control
    right click its icon -> Adjust Audio Properties -> Volume tab
    and then uncheck the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option.

    I don't know SoundMax but if it has all the necessary features it
    should be able to handle the various playback/record settings
    so you shouldn't need WXP's utility.

    In my case I had Nvidia's soundmixer loaded but it doesn't want
    to keep the settings I make in it so I wound up going back to
    Windows' volume control.

    --
    >>ANIME SENSHI<<
    Marc D. Williams
    marcdw@charter.net
    http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
    http://www.geocities.com/wilmarcdw/ -- Win3.x Makeover

    "Marc D. Williams" <marcdw@charter.net> wrote in message
    > BP wrote:
    >> I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
    >> motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
    >> How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
    >> recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
    >> Can you turn one sound control "off"?
    >> TIA
    >
    > To turn off, or at least remove from systray, the WinXP sound control
    > right click its icon -> Adjust Audio Properties -> Volume tab
    > and then uncheck the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option.
    >
    > I don't know SoundMax but if it has all the necessary features it
    > should be able to handle the various playback/record settings
    > so you shouldn't need WXP's utility.
    >
    > In my case I had Nvidia's soundmixer loaded but it doesn't want
    > to keep the settings I make in it so I wound up going back to
    > Windows' volume control.

    I removed windows volume control from the taskbar a long time ago, but it
    does not remove the control from the OS, or should it. I open it from the
    start button. But to record LPs through the line-in jack I have to adjust
    both volume controls which is a minor PIA. I'm curious as to what others do.

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP