Volume Control

August 22, 2005 1:37:44 PM

I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
Can you turn one sound control "off"?
TIA

More about : volume control

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:42:46 AM

BP wrote:
> I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
> motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
> How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
> recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
> Can you turn one sound control "off"?
> TIA

To turn off, or at least remove from systray, the WinXP sound control
right click its icon -> Adjust Audio Properties -> Volume tab
and then uncheck the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option.

I don't know SoundMax but if it has all the necessary features it
should be able to handle the various playback/record settings
so you shouldn't need WXP's utility.

In my case I had Nvidia's soundmixer loaded but it doesn't want
to keep the settings I make in it so I wound up going back to
Windows' volume control.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams
marcdw@charter.net
http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/wilmarcdw/ -- Win3.x Makeover
August 23, 2005 6:01:54 PM

"Marc D. Williams" <marcdw@charter.net> wrote in message
> BP wrote:
>> I have two volume controls: the first is SoundMax 4.0 that comes with the
>> motherboard's on-board sound, the second id WXP's sound control.
>> How do most use these controls? Set SoundMax to default and use WXP when
>> recording from Line In, or set WXP to default and use Soundmax?
>> Can you turn one sound control "off"?
>> TIA
>
> To turn off, or at least remove from systray, the WinXP sound control
> right click its icon -> Adjust Audio Properties -> Volume tab
> and then uncheck the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option.
>
> I don't know SoundMax but if it has all the necessary features it
> should be able to handle the various playback/record settings
> so you shouldn't need WXP's utility.
>
> In my case I had Nvidia's soundmixer loaded but it doesn't want
> to keep the settings I make in it so I wound up going back to
> Windows' volume control.

I removed windows volume control from the taskbar a long time ago, but it
does not remove the control from the OS, or should it. I open it from the
start button. But to record LPs through the line-in jack I have to adjust
both volume controls which is a minor PIA. I'm curious as to what others do.
!