Sign in with
Your question

Which is better Extreme 4s Realtek ALC898 or Sound Blaster Titanium Fa

Last response: in Components
February 4, 2013 2:44:36 AM

I am finishing up my build and im wondering if I should stick with my Extreme 4 onboard Realtek ALC898 or use my old sound blaster pro titanium fatality pcie card from 2008?

I am using some nice 5.1 kipsch speakers.

Link to sound blaster card: us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-Fatal1ty/M/B0018EFGTM.htm
February 4, 2013 2:50:58 AM

sound blaster.

i have both, i can hear the difference. sound blaster also lets you customize the sound more.

though really i suppose it would depend on you and your speakers. put it in, listen to the difference. if you cant hear one, pull the card.
February 4, 2013 2:51:55 AM

Realtek ALC898 is a high-end codec, but the sound card is still technically superior. It's just that most of the time you won't know the difference.
Related resources
February 4, 2013 7:14:57 PM

neon neophyte said:
sound blaster.

i have both, i can hear the difference. sound blaster also lets you customize the sound more.

though really i suppose it would depend on you and your speakers. put it in, listen to the difference. if you cant hear one, pull the card.

+1

my 5 cents: Although I have only Genius SW-HF 5.1 5000 speakers, the difference is noticeable. Also a discrete sound card hogs less system resources. And not to mention Creative SB has a nifty gimmick which restores some effects lost due to music compression (Which helps 128/160kbit mp3s and also sounds in movies to sound better... \granted not all the time and sometimes it just screws up, but 9 in 10 cases it really helps)
February 4, 2013 7:21:27 PM

Integrated generally gets owned by dedicated. Though some high end integrated ones can sometimes beat the low-few mid-range dedicated cards. Anyway, that is a high end dedicated so yes the sound blaster bombs the realtek.
!