Problems with Nokia Content Copier (unable to restore back..

Last response: in Brands
October 5, 2004 11:48:36 PM

I am using two Nokia 6230, and have backed up the first 6230 using the
Content Copier that comes with Nokia PC Suite 6.3.14. I used
Bluetooth connection to Make A Backup Of Phone Contents.

Recently I had some problems with the first set and had to upgrade the
OS in the phone from V03.15 (17 Mar 2004) to V04.43 (24 Aug 2004).
After this, I tried to restore the backup but it wouldn't work. The
err msg given was "Nokia Content Copier cannot find any backup files
made from this phone..." I did a browse and selected the backup I
previously made (found in My Documents\Backup files) and got the err
msg "This backup file has been made from a different phone model than
the currently connected phone. The data cannot be restored to the
phone."

I next tried using the second set 6230 (backed-up it's contents first)
and walla... it restored the contents successfully (one time).
Unfortunately I made some boo-boo and restored the backup of the 6230
back onto itself. After this, regardless of how I try, I cannot
restore the backup of the first set (which I did manage successfully
one time). I have deleted the pairing, etc, but to no avail. In
fact, I realize that the backup I made of the second set 6230 also
does not restore back anymore.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem and is there any way I can
restore back the .nfb file I have for the first set (a lot of years of
accumulated phone numbers, since my Nokia 8210).

Bernard.
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:55:10 PM

Bernard Soh wrote:

> After this, I tried to restore the backup but it wouldn't work.

I had the same kind of problem (I was upgrading from a 6610 to a
6610i and wanted to copy all messages and contacts). I found out
that I had to make a backup using option 3, not option 1 in PC suite.
Restore should be by option 4, not 2. The first 2 options are for
backups from the same kind of phone, the 2nd will allow one to
backup and restore to differend types (as far as the receiving phone
supports it of course).

> Has anyone else encountered such a problem and is there any way I can
> restore back the .nfb file I have for the first set (a lot of years of
> accumulated phone numbers, since my Nokia 8210).

A backup using option 3 gives you a .nfc file. I don't know if there
is a way to convert a .nfb to a .nfc, however, if all else fails, you
can make the phone numbers and SMS messages readable by opening the file
with a text editor. If you remove the alt-128 chars you'll see the phone
numbers and messages in a human-readable format and you can type them in
again.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

You may also be able to export the old content to a CSV file. If so, you
might be able to import that file into the newer firmware.

Gregg Hill

!