  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2005 7:09:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I am running XP Pro SP1.
For some reason, I do not have the Alerter service listed under
Services.

Articles like this one make passing reference to the Alerter service
and says I should expect to have an Alerter Service in XP Pro SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843021

How can I restore the entry for the Alerter Service?

More about : alerter service pro sp1

August 22, 2005 7:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Check if you have the following key in the registry :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Alerter

I can't remember but I'm sure the alerter service was there in Sp1, the
service depends on the workstation service.
--
________
NIC

"Alex Coleman" wrote:

> I am running XP Pro SP1.
> For some reason, I do not have the Alerter service listed under
> Services.
>
> Articles like this one make passing reference to the Alerter service
> and says I should expect to have an Alerter Service in XP Pro SP1.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843021
>
> How can I restore the entry for the Alerter Service?

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:09:29 PM

Alerter Service:
Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the
service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not
receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.
Dependencies: Workstation

Computer Startup Role Type :
Stand Alone computer: Disabled
Workstation Networked Computer: Enabled & Automatic
So this begs the answer from you; is your computer's role set as
stand-alone computer or workstation?
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 22, 2005 7:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have XP Pro SP1. The Alerter service is listed in Services.

Alerter service missing (WXP-Pro)
http://www.winguides.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.