• New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 21, 2012 1:48:20 AM

Case/Hard Drive Cooler Master KKN5/Hitachi GST 500gb 7200rpm

MotherBoard" ASRock Z75 Pro3

CPU/Optical Drive: i5-2400 Sandy Bridge/LG DvD Burner

GPU: His Radeon 7850

Power Supply/Memory: OCZ 550W Fully Modular/Patriot Gamer 8gb (2x4gb)

Price After Rebates: 693.76

Trying to get a the best I can for around this price. I know there isn't any real substantial difference between Ivy and Sandy and with AMD not really posing much of a thread to intel I am going to stick with Sandy Bridge for now. My biggest interest will be gaming, computer programming (still learning), streaming, and some light editing for a youtube channel.

I have no interest in overclocking and do not need a monitor or an OS or any other smaller item. I'm spending a little extra on case for the reason of future proofing my build the best I can. I wanted a bigger size case that could hold many fans and was customizable. I see the 660 being better than the 7850 and for only $10 to $20 bucks more, awesome. I think that about covers it. If you guys have any questions or thoughts feel free to put up yours as well as your own builds that you think would be better.

My build must not go over $750 unless rebates are involved to put it under. 66614 is for zip for shipping as that matters to me as well.

More about : 750 build needing input suggestions

September 21, 2012 1:55:28 AM

The 7850 is far superior and the opposite is also true depending on what games are played and at what settings. Also, I recommend against getting an OCZ PSU. They are generally less reliable than Antec, Corsair, PCP&P, Seasonic, and XFX. That a 7870 can be found in the same price range as the 7850 and 660 makes a much stronger argument for it anyway because it is better than both of them.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 2:15:00 AM

pc power and cooling psu s are much better than ocz psu s even though ocz owns them
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:18:13 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i4eO

That's my recommendation. If OP wants to go below an i5, then I'd recommend switching the i5 out for an AMD Phenom II x4. They're much better than the i3s if you just pump up the CPU and CPU/NB frequencies and offer a better option than the i3s.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:27:37 AM

Firstly though the first one that you got there for a build is good, I will be playing games like BF3 on my computer as one of my bigger games, probably Medal of Honor when it comes out. I've heard that there is a substantial difference between playing BF3 on a i3 in comparison to a i5, especially when playing on 64 player maps where you will cause issues for the cpu.

Also I would like to add that not over $750 unless you have rebates to help out. I do not have the money for that and as well if you guys can get closer to 700 that would be awesome.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:33:05 AM

Astralman said:
Firstly though the first one that you got there for a build is good, I will be playing games like BF3 on my computer as one of my bigger games, probably Medal of Honor when it comes out. I've heard that there is a substantial difference between playing BF3 on a i3 in comparison to a i5, especially when playing on 64 player maps where you will cause issues for the cpu.

Also I would like to add that not over $750 unless you have rebates to help out. I do not have the money for that and as well if you guys can get closer to 700 that would be awesome.

You are correct in that BF3 MP has huge CPU needs. Also, my recommended build has an i5 that can easily run BF3 MP with a full 64 players and is only $634 with one of the best cases except for cases that are two or three times more expensive (even then, it's still good) and has a graphics card that can chew through 1080p without any issues. An upgrade to a decent Z77 motherboard would mean that you can also overclock the i5 to about 3.8GHz through Turbo configuration and the cost would still only be around $650-660.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:35:23 AM

Yeah, that statement was made to the other gentlemen, I'm actually impressed by what you put up. Mainly for the fact that you went well under my budget which I greatly appreciate. I usually only see people on here pushing that budget as much as they possibly can and I bothers the heck out of me.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:25:48 AM

wait until the ivy bridge i3 comes out. might be around decemeber but if you buy some parts on black friday/cyber monday then im pretty sure you can get some deals from them to lower down the price
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:34:29 AM

Ivy or Sandy the i3's will still only be dual core while BF3 requires quad core to be at its best. That and the i3 IB's are already out, atleast one of them are.

Went and looked at some more charts for 7850's and 660's and came to realize other than BF3 that there isn't much difference between the cards. The only difference like I said, BF3 by 15 fps which is very nice.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:57:06 AM

Astralman said:
Ivy or Sandy the i3's will still only be dual core while BF3 requires quad core to be at its best. That and the i3 IB's are already out, atleast one of them are.

Went and looked at some more charts for 7850's and 660's and came to realize other than BF3 that there isn't much difference between the cards. The only difference like I said, BF3 by 15 fps which is very nice.

Hence my 7870 recommendation which is better than both cards and at a mere $227.55 AR.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:16:33 AM

I think I will stick to my build and get the 7870 then. I been looking for a cheaper 7870 and this one will fit in my budget. But keep coming with the idea's guys.
m
l
September 21, 2012 11:07:44 AM

the ivy bridge i3s came out like last week
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:14:44 PM

Yeah for the longest time I was going to get a i3 but realized that the games I would be playing would be hurt by just having an i3 so had to bump up to an i5 which meant I had to play around with my money a little bit better. Would rather get an i3 for money but the games I will be playing just won't have it.

Anyone else got anything else to add to my build. It seems I got everything pretty much good?
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:19:52 PM

If BF3 and maybe some other very well-threaded games are the only very CPU-intensive games that you'll play, you could go with an AMD FX-6100 instead of an i5 if you really want to lower costs, but it wouldn't work out as well in CPU-bottle-necked games that can't use six or more threads like BF3 MP can.

However, if you're happy with this build, then it's my recommendation. I don't see any problems with it.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:28:50 PM

I'm not to happy from a lot of the performance charts I have seen out of the FX bulldozer series of cpu's. I would for the cheaper price but seeing as most of my time will be on playing games I don't really see it being worth it. If my priority was programming which I am but a toddler at, then I might.

I might just stick with a 7850 for now and update down the road for a better graphics card. Save the money now, especially since 7850's can run everything right now at good frame rates. 7870's are nice, I just want to try my best at keeping this rig as much under $750 as I can. The lower the better I do say.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:30:58 PM

Astralman said:
I'm not to happy from a lot of the performance charts I have seen out of the FX bulldozer series of cpu's. I would for the cheaper price but seeing as most of my time will be on playing games I don't really see it being worth it. If my priority was programming which I am but a toddler at, then I might.

I might just stick with a 7850 for now and update down the road for a better graphics card. Save the money now, especially since 7850's can run everything right now at good frame rates. 7870's are nice, I just want to try my best at keeping this rig as much under $750 as I can. The lower the better I do say.

My build did have an i5-2400 with a good 7870 at only like $630, so you could stick with the 7870 and still be over $100 below your budget while having a very good i5. 7850s don't get much cheaper than my recommended 7870 is, but if you want a 7850, then I could make a recommendation for one.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:36:55 PM

I know, I truly understand. The only thing is that I'm also looking at what I can keep for the future as well. I really like that build that you put up mainly for the fact you went well under my budget, the thing is I would like to have a case I won't have to feel like I'll have to repurchases down the road. Then having to take it all out and put it into the new case and do all that nonsense.

Me I would like to be as set as I can now so there is less work for me to do down the road. This case can have up to 10 fan's installed within it, or 11, so if I have to make this thing more demanding down the road I can just add more fans. Also with the removable hard drives cases is awesome, though the HAF case has that as well. Having USB 3.0 on this case is also nice and will better suit me in the future, though I know that 3.0 isn't the biggest advancement in the world.

Case/Hard Drive Cooler Master KKN5/Hitachi GST 500gb 7200rpm

Price After Rebates: 693.76
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:42:14 PM

The HAF 912 is one of the best cases available until you spend like $120-150 or more on the case alone and an OCZ PSU is not very reliable, hence my avoiding it.

Regardless, if you simply switch out my case and hard drive choice with that case plus hard drive deal, you get about the same price anyway and get a more expensive case.

However, the Hitachi drives are also one of the least reliable hard drive brands, so again, I would not recommend that anyway. If you want a different case, then I can make a recommendation, but you're really sacrificing a good case for a maybe slightly better one with an unreliable hard drive and an unreliable PSU. If there is any single component that you never skimp on in a build, it is the PSU. You'd basically be paying more for less :( 
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:47:28 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i6JG

That would be much better. About the same cost as your new build (is $10 more expensive too much?), but with a better case, better hard drive, better graphics card, and better PSU. It also has the same good motherboard as your new choice and an only slightly slower CPU with the i5-2300 instead of the i5-2400.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:07:24 PM

I have seen plenty of very good reviews on the OCZ ZT series of power supplies and hardly any bad reviews on it specifically. I will dump out that HD because after taking a closer look at reviews, yeah. I switched it out for a 90gb SSD from OCZ (sorry lol) because I'm going to be buying a 500gb (250gb can't remember) raptorz 10000rpm from a friend for $50. Going to get that now so I don't have to worry later.

Though I really like the HAF case, I really do. I just can't see myself having one. Maybe I'm being a little to picky on this, which I probably am but to each their own I guess.

Switched to the HAF 922. I don't know how I never saw that case on Newegg.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:10:21 PM

Astralman said:
I have seen plenty of very good reviews on the OCZ ZT series of power supplies and hardly any bad reviews on it specifically. I will dump out that HD because after taking a closer look at reviews, yeah. I switched it out for a 90gb SSD from OCZ (sorry lol) because I'm going to be buying a 500gb (250gb can't remember) raptorz 10000rpm from a friend for $50. Going to get that now so I don't have to worry later.

Though I really like the HAF case, I really do. I just can't see myself having one. Maybe I'm being a little to picky on this, which I probably am but to each their own I guess.

This new build has a different case from the previous, just so you know. If you want another different case recommendation, then I can make one. I'm not saying that you must go with HAF, but it's called HAF for a reason... High-Air-Flow. HAF cases are usually the best or among the best at any given price range. Still, again, I can make other (non-HAF) recommendations if you want.

Some of OCZ's SSDs are prone to failure, but their Vertex 4 and Agility 4 SSDs are great. If you want an SSD, that's my recommendation. OCZ's Vertex 4 is generally the best drive in terms of performance and reliability while also having excellent pricing and Agility four can have huge deals on pricing while having great reliability and good performance.

The WD Raptor HDDs are probably the best consumer HDDs in terms of performance and reliability, but their capacity can be low, especially for their prices (not a problem if you don't need more capacity). If you're getting a good deal on even a 250GB model, then I'd recommend that you take the deal.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:18:34 PM

I would be curious on other recommendations but I switched to the HAF 922.

I won't be using a ton of memory right now so I can just buy another HD down the road. I was making a bargain with him because he really wants me to get a SSD. So I told him I would get an SSD if he would let me buy one of his raptorz that he was selling for $50. He wanted to see the pair he had for $100 but would rather just get one for now.

Which leads me to the question of whats the difference between vertex 4 and 3. I would like to get a 90gb because from what I hear that 60gb isn't really enough for programs and games alike.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:33:02 PM

Astralman said:
I would be curious on other recommendations but I switched to the HAF 922.

I won't be using a ton of memory right now so I can just buy another HD down the road. I was making a bargain with him because he really wants me to get a SSD. So I told him I would get an SSD if he would let me buy one of his raptorz that he was selling for $50. He wanted to see the pair he had for $100 but would rather just get one for now.

Which leads me to the question of whats the difference between vertex 4 and 3. I would like to get a 90gb because from what I hear that 60gb isn't really enough for programs and games alike.

Vertex 4 uses a much more reliable controller and has much better performance in non-highly-compressible throughput as well as in random throughput and random access times.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:07:22 PM

Alright, just throwing this case out there. The Cooler Master Storm Enforcer. What do you think about that case? It has pretty much all the features of a HAF series case, except instead of side fan mounts it has a window/
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:16:43 PM

Astralman said:
Alright, just throwing this case out there. The Cooler Master Storm Enforcer. What do you think about that case? It has pretty much all the features of a HAF series case, except instead of side fan mounts it has a window/

I think that it's a very good case. I prefer side fan mounts, but that shouldn't stop you from buying that case if you don't prefer side fan mounts.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:42:38 PM

Or the Enermax Fulmo? Was just looking up stuff on it. Wandering if you knew anything about them.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:54:06 PM

Astralman said:
Or the Enermax Fulmo? Was just looking up stuff on it. Wandering if you knew anything about them.

I'm not familiar with that case, but having looked into it a little just now, it does seem like another good option.
m
l
September 22, 2012 4:45:20 AM

Case: Enermax FULMO Mid Tower

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 90gb

Price After Rebates: 703.76

Just putting up my most recent set up. Been really looking into the Enermax case and I must say it is very very nice. Looks like this will be my build. Will be getting it in Nov. so not that far away. Things might change by then but who knows.
m
l
!